After 485 expires what to do?

after-485-expires-what-to-do shoes on a floor

After 485 expires what to do, asking you are?

485 visa extension

485 visa is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It can not be extended, unfortunately, in other words you can apply for a 485 visa in Australia only once, right?

Yes and no – you can apply for 485 visa only once as the main applicant if you have a partner and he or she will finish a school here and will be applying for an 485 visa as a primary applicant you can get it again as a secondary applicant.

If you don’t have a partner eligible for 485 – let’s explore the other options which might be available for you.

Remember – you can always give us a call to discuss the options. We’re here to help.

You can book a consultation with a migration agent or educational agent here.

Apply for a skilled permanent visa

Asa holder of 485 visa you have the same work rights as any Australian permanent resident, so it is giving you an opportunity to get Australian work experience. The permanent skilled visa system is points based. You’ll get points for your age, education, level of your English and so on. Completion of the course in Australia is giving you extra points furthermore if you have studied in regional Australia that’s another 5 points, 1 year of Australian work experience is giving you extra points, professional year – that’s another bonus points (you can claim both – professional year and work experience – how good is that?), if you’d be able to pass a paraprofessional translator test (called NAATI CCL)- another 5 points, if your spouse would be able to get skills assessed – another 5 points – you get the idea. Studying in Australia and subsequently working in your occupation on 485 might lead you to permanent residency. Whether you’d qualify for skilled visa such as 189, 190 or 491 visa (also called SWR visa) is another question. Give us a call and we’ll discuss if that would be your best option.

Apply for employer-sponsored visa

If you’ve been working for a while for some great employer I bet they’d be willing to keep you for longer. Ask them if they’d help you with your visa. Dependant on your occupation and work experience we might apply for 407 (training visa), 482 visa (also called TSS visa), 186 visa (also called ENS visa) or 494 visa visa (also called SESR visa). Some of these visas are temporary some are permanent. Which one would be the option – impossible to advise without knowing your professional background.

Apply for a partner visa

If you came to Australia as a single, chances are you found the love of your life, right? Lucky you if your better half is an Australian citizen or permanent resident because they may sponsor you for a partner visa. Did you know, you don’t have to be married to apply for a spouse visa? Applying for a partner visa is a lengthy and tedious process, so it’s always a good idea to look for a migration agent’s assistance with the whole process.

If you’d like to be first to know about Australian visa and migration news, please consider following us on a facebook.

NZ dependant visa

Partner visa usually is not an option if you got into a relationship with a Kiwi however, there is a special visa for members of New Zealander’s immediate family unit t’s a 461 visa.

Become dependant on your spouse’s visa

It’s always better to share your life as you can see. It’s even easier to get a visa if there are two of you. It’s OK if you are a gay or lesbian, Australia accepts same-sex relationships. If both of you are holders of some visa, quite often one could become a dependant of the other’s visa. You’d have to plan carefully as not all the visas allow dependants and for some employer must agree to add a dependant. As usual – we’re here to help.

Apply for student visa

If none of the previous options would suit you, student visa could be kind of a last stand if you’d like to become a permanent resident. Sometimes a few months course can make you eligible for a permanent visa. If you are a cook diploma of hospitality management could make you a chef. If your occupation does not allow you to apply for any skilled visa, changing your career could be an option. Think carefully what kind of course leading to permanent residency you’d choose as GTE assessment is a big thing when applying for a student visa.

Apply for a tourist visa

Let’s face the truth – this is only for those who want to leave Australia but just need a few more days to see some places before departure.

Use your 485 visa wisely

If your 485 is about to expire not much you can do, but if you have just been granted with 485 continue reading. You have a 485 or 476 once in a lifetime, so use the time given wisely. Make sure to make the most of it to improve your chances for migration to Australia. You should consider:

  • Work experience. You can work full time on a 485 visa. Find an employer, show them what you can and ask them to help you with getting a residency visa
  • Regional visas.  You can work anywhere in Australia as a holder of 485 visa. Think about finding an employer in the regional area. This will improve your chances of obtaining a state nomination or may lead to RSMS visa.
  • A professional year is available for Accountants, engineers, and IT professionals. It’s gonna give you 5 points for skilled visa, will help with skills assessment and also will give you Australian work experience which will impress Australian employers.

No easy answer after 485 expires what to do there is. Give us a call to have a chat about your situation, or contact us.

And don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter:

60 thoughts on “After 485 expires what to do?

  • 19/01/2018 at 11:20 am

    Hi i am just wondering if student’s dependent earn 70k per year is there any chance to get extra points on that ?

    • 19/01/2018 at 8:56 pm

      Nope, sorry. No extra points for salary level.

  • 06/02/2018 at 9:27 pm


    I’m currently on 485 visa, will I be eligible to apply for a work sponsorship/ PR through work? I have been working for 2 years in the same field of my studies ( Masters ). Looking forward to some advice or help.


    • 08/02/2018 at 9:29 pm

      You may be eligible – all depends on your occupation, type of work and nature of the business sponsoring you.

  • 07/02/2018 at 9:33 pm

    My 485 visa is expiring soon. What are the possible options for me? Lodged my EOI for registered nurse but still waiting for eoi. Prompt response will be appreciated. Thanks.

    • 08/02/2018 at 9:23 pm

      If you’d like to explore possible options – please book a consultation.

  • 08/03/2018 at 7:45 am

    My 485 is expiring in a month. Would they extend it for a couple of weeks?
    I have to hand over my work to the next manager and it might take some time.

    Melissa Jose

    • 08/03/2018 at 8:46 am

      There is no way your 485 might be extended. You may consider applying for another type of visa. Please book a consultation if you’d like to discuss your options.

  • 09/03/2018 at 8:10 pm

    Hi I am left with 1year of 485 visa and wondering if situation is very hard to get PR then can i apply for 457 (new short term visa 2years) and continue to wait for my EOI of subclass 189 ?

    Looking to get your prompt response…


    • 10/03/2018 at 5:58 pm

      What is your occupation, age, work experience, qualifications? Have you got a partner? and so on, and so on… A full assessment is required to make any judgment. Please book a consultation so we’ll discuss the best way forward to gain PR.

  • 16/03/2018 at 5:32 am

    My student visa is expiring on 1 may but l need t study RN july intake, if l apply for visa extension will the immigration allow me to live here for that period till july or l have to enroll into something till l start RN

    • 16/03/2018 at 9:25 pm

      2 months shall be fine (case officer discretion of course…). Make sure you’ll have health insurance current for the whole period of time.

  • 16/03/2018 at 6:31 am

    I have finished one year of my visa 485 (2 years) and i found the company to sponsor for me. Do I need to have two years experience in my field to apply TSS 482? I studied accounting.
    Many thanks

    • 16/03/2018 at 9:24 pm

      2 years of work experience will be required t be eligible for TSS / 482. There could be some exemptions available.

  • 19/03/2018 at 7:38 pm

    Hi, my 485 visa expires in june 2018 and i just started my JRP .So i need another 8 to 10 months to finish it. i am just wondering what visa should i apply so i can get full working rights .THANKS

    • 21/03/2018 at 10:05 pm

      Oh dear… What is a country of your passport? Are you eligible for a working holiday?

  • 31/03/2018 at 2:50 pm

    Hi, I am holding my 485 visa atm and still have 1 year left. My partner is going to finish her degrees by the end of this year, and she will apply for 485 next year and will include in as her family member. Will there be any chance that I can stay for another 2 year dependent on her 485?

    Looking for your answer

    • 04/04/2018 at 11:25 am

      Such a chance exists

  • 01/04/2018 at 12:07 am

    I am on 457 visa and presently doing my PhD in physics. Will finish in 6 months. I see that physics is not in SQL list. Is there anyway i can get PR?


    • 04/04/2018 at 12:33 pm

      What is your occupation on 457? ENS could be an option.

  • 04/04/2018 at 1:24 am

    Hi, I currently hold an Indian passport and my visa is to expire this mid-May. I have done a Masters degree here, what are the chances of applying for Diploma to extend my stay here?? Thank you

    • 04/04/2018 at 9:40 am

      You would have to have a really good reason for that, otherwise, case officer may refuse the visa on GTE grounds. Book a consultation so we can discuss your situation.

  • 16/04/2018 at 12:09 pm

    Hi My 485 Visa expires in May. I have a Bachelor of Arts in Humanities and have been struggling to find a job as most jobs are for citizens. I have been offered a job at Fitness First which is now my choice of career. Should I take a 1 year course that will allow me to apply for a 189 eventually? What is best graduate diploma in teaching or certificate in fitness? Thank you

    • 19/05/2018 at 10:12 am

      What sort of 1 year course that will allow you to apply for 189 have you got in mind? I am not aware of any courses like that.

  • 18/04/2018 at 1:35 pm

    i changed my course on my student visa but still 4 subjects are remaining and visa are about to expire so can i extend my student visa

    • 13/05/2018 at 12:24 pm

      You’ll have to

  • 01/05/2018 at 3:19 am

    I have finished my diploma of hospitality management and now on my 485 visa. gonna start my JRE program in couple of weeks time and i am wondering what’s the best way to gain PR? does it matter if i did a skill assessment whether on a chef position or cook? i am also located in south australia if it makes a difference.

    • 13/05/2018 at 10:22 am

      Chef is better as it is on MLTSSL list.

  • 09/06/2018 at 12:34 pm

    Hey there,
    I am about to finished my 485 visa. Actively looking for job sponsorship. Finished my MBA. Thought of taking VET course which is community service which is in demand here-In case I won’t get any. Do you think I will have any issues while applying for visa from Masters to VET course?

    • 10/06/2018 at 8:00 am

      You will have to have a good case for a GTE. Doable.

  • 13/06/2018 at 4:47 pm

    Hi my 485 visa is expiring in September, if i have 70 points to submit in July for the EOI what are my chance to get an invitation before hand? and does having siblings who are citizen help or not?

    • 15/06/2018 at 10:50 am

      As of 23 May 2018 75 is minimum to be considered for 189. You should consider exploring the other options like SC 190 visa. Book a consultation if you’d like to discuss.

  • 25/06/2018 at 7:03 pm

    My partner is on 485 visas can I study as a dependant partner on that visa to apply for permanent resident as an option? Please reply, thanks.

    • 28/06/2018 at 7:04 am

      You can study as a dependant on 457 but if it will lead you to PR is another question and there is no simple answer to it.

  • 24/07/2018 at 12:08 pm

    hey I’ve recently got my 485 visa after graduating from software engineering. Now Im thinking about doing Professional year. Just wondering is it okay to wait a bit and try for job hunting or should i enroll for Professional year straight away? Thanks

    • 29/07/2018 at 10:16 am

      Up to you. If you’ll find a job, it is rather unlikely you’ll do a professional job later.

  • 13/08/2018 at 8:20 am

    I’ve got visa 476 visa, I would like to study masters in engineering after 476 visa expires. Now, can I apply for 485 visa after I graduate?


    • 13/08/2018 at 10:42 am

      For a primary applicant 476/485 could be granted once in a lifetime. If you had one of these you can’t apply for the other as a primary applicant. You can apply as a dependant though.

  • 08/02/2019 at 6:28 pm

    After 485 expires, ( if I have been working for a company under my occupation nomination list as a general/tax accountant, for, say, 10 months under 485), can I apply for 417 working holiday visa, and work for the same company for another 3 months? Is ai allowed?

  • 14/04/2019 at 3:15 pm

    Hi my self Mandeep kaur..i did Mba (general) from James cook university..i have one year experience as a Caffe and restaurant manager…my 485 visa is going to finish soon..can I apply 190 or 489 visa with Mba plus one year Caffe restaurant manager???my Indian study is

    • 07/07/2019 at 11:40 am

      If you’ll be able to get your skills assessment done and secure a state nomination – yes.

  • 31/05/2019 at 1:16 pm

    My visa 485 will expire in Feb. next year. I have done my skill assessment in Mechanical Engineering. My age is 25 right now and I am doing Professional Year in Engineering which will going to complete in November. All together I will manage to get 70 points. Is there any visa option for me after Feb. so I can also continue my full time work?


    • 03/06/2019 at 9:11 am

      Seems like 190 visa could be an option if a state nomination could be obtained, but well in November 2019 points system will change a bit.

  • 17/06/2019 at 7:25 pm

    Hi , my 485 visa ends on september 2019, i finished my bachelors degree in nursing . Can i apply for naati course and extend my visa as student visa?

    • 07/07/2019 at 10:57 am

      If they’d give you a CoE, then yes, but I doubt if that would be the case.

  • 25/06/2019 at 1:20 pm

    My visa 485 will expire in the beginning of Dec and I wanna apply for S491 visa. During waiting for EOI, my visa will be expired and thinking to change sightseeing visa. Is it true if change visa from S485 to sightseeing visa, I can get only one month sightseeing visa not 3 months?


    • 07/07/2019 at 10:34 am

      What do you mean sightseeing visa? Are you referring to visitor visa? Each visitor visa is decided on its own merits and it could be granted for a few days up to 3 years. Given your circumstances probably 3 months will be max you can get.

  • 26/10/2019 at 11:39 pm

    Hi my visa 485 will expire next year Feb. Applied for EOI but still waiting my points is 70. What are the possible options to continue staying in australia. Can I apply for masteral degree or student visa? I graduated early childhood teacher studied 4yrs. Thanks

    • 15/12/2019 at 7:36 am

      Impossible to get an invitation for 189 with 70 points.
      State nomination for 190 or 491 – depends on the state.
      Master degree- could be an option – yes.

  • 26/11/2019 at 1:45 pm

    I am on my last 6 months of my 485 visa and I recently only managed to acquire a full -time job as a Graphic designer. I was wondering what are my visa options to apply for If I would to obtain my PR, or at least to get a full year work time with my company ?
    Age 27, completed 3 years bachelor degree, Language: 8, Single

    Thank You.

    • 15/12/2019 at 7:10 am

      Hi Jonathan
      Getting a skilled PR visa without employer is getting harder day by day, I feel your pain…
      The main question here is if your employer would be willing to help you. If yes – 407 visa might be an option. I understand you need a year for skills assessment, right?
      Give us a call to discuss.

  • 03/12/2019 at 4:36 pm

    Hi there. I’m on 485 visa and I am not a primary holder, I am a dependent applicant. I am currently working. Would it be possible for me to apply for a student visa when my visa is about to expire?

    • 15/12/2019 at 6:40 am

      That’s possible.
      You’ll have to fulfill student visa criteria.
      Give us a call if you need assistance with choosing a school and your student visa application.

  • 10/12/2019 at 11:04 pm

    My 485 visa is expiring March 2020. Still waiting for an invite, I have lodged my EOI last month. What other visa I can apply in order to extend my stay in Australia. Thanks.

    • 15/12/2019 at 6:35 am

      1. If there is an employer willing to help you – work or training visa could be an option.
      2. if you have a partner and she or he is an Australian citizen or PR – partner visa could be an option
      3. if you have a partner in Australia and he or she is on a visa – become dependant on your partner visa
      4. dependant on a country of your passport and your age 417 or 462 visa could be an option
      4. if none of the above, you might need to consider going back to school –
      if you need to discuss your situation – give us a call

    • 13/01/2020 at 3:14 pm

      Is it wise to apply for a 485 first and then at the end of the 2 year period, apply for a phd student visa?

      • 16/01/2020 at 9:16 am

        After PhD you’ll get 485 for 4 years, so if you’d like to pursue PhD in Australia it might be a better idea in some circumstances PhD first, then 485.

  • 17/01/2020 at 4:35 pm

    Hi, Just wanted to ask there is a news from the government that Nursing Support Worker, Disabled Carer and Personal Care Assistant is now eligible to apply for PR. I have been working as Community Support Worker in a disability Sector for more than five year. Will it be counted? I am a Registered Nurse but have no RN experience. I have studied Bachelor of Nursing here in Australia. I am currently on 485 visa expiring March 29,2020. I have lodged my EOI under RN (NEC) last November on 65points. Still waiting for invite. Thank you. I will wait for your reply

    • 20/01/2020 at 8:56 am

      There’s a chance carers will appear on the STSOL list later this year. If your visa will expire 29 March this year, I wouldn’t rely on it.

Comments are closed.