Do you wonder, how does student visa extension Australia process look like, because your current student visa will expire soon, right? Don’t be worry we’re here to help. Make yourself a favor and call us to discuss your options, or – continue reading.
Can I extend my student visa?
Table of Contents
- Can I extend my student visa?
- Situation when you’d have to apply for student visa extension
- Which course to choose for student visa extension
- When to extend student visa
- Student visa extension process
- Once application has been submitted
- Visa refused or application issues
To continue studying in Australia after your current visa would expire you’ll have to lodge a new visa application. It is not possible to extend a validity of your current visa, the whole student visa process must be followed again. Simply speaking you’ll have to lodge a new visa application. Schools require international students to complete their course within the duration stated in the offer letter, but it’s up to you to take care of your visa.
Situation when you’d have to apply for student visa extension
- You have enrolled into a new course of study
- Your visa has been canceled by the Department of Immigration
- Your current visa expires before you can complete your course (failed subjects, reduced study load, or leave of absence)
- Your research candidature has been extended
- Your postgraduate research thesis has been submitted for marking, but your current student expires before thesis marking can be finalized
Which course to choose for student visa extension
There is no easy answer to this question, and it all depends on your particular circumstances and future goals, whether you’d like to leave Australia after completion of your course or stay here permanently. There are some courses which might lead you to permanent residency and there might the ways to extend your stay in Australia in other ways than applying for another student visa. A discussion with a migration agent is always a good idea.
When to extend student visa
To be on a safe side you should apply 3 months before your current visa expires. Please keep in mind, that changing your level of study may require immediate visa application. Your visa is linked to the course of study you have enrolled into when applying for a visa. If you are changing course department must re-assess if you are still eligible for a visa. Sometimes they will let you keep your current visa, but in some circumstances, new student visa application will have to be lodged. Call us to discuss if you are not sure.
Applying in Australia
Before applying in Australia check if the “no further stay” condition has not been imposed to your visa. It may, or may not preclude you from applying for an extension of your student visa. Once again – call us to discuss.
It is imperative to apply for a new student visa before your current one would expire otherwise, you’ll become an unlawful non-citizen and you might be removed from Australia. In some circumstances, department of immigration is allowing applying for a student visa extension up to 28 calendar days after the expiry date of your current visa.
If you apply in Australia while holding a valid student visa you’ll also be granted with a bridging visa A (BVA), which will allow you to remain lawfully in Australia whilst your new visa is processing. BVA will come into effect automatically only if your new visa will not be decided before the expiry date of your current one. If you need to travel overseas while on BVA you’ll have to apply for BVB before departing Australia, otherwise you might not be allowed to re-entry Australia.
Applying outside Australia
If you do not have any current visa, you’ll have to wait for a student visa grant before coming back to Australia. Plan ahead wisely and factor all potential delays into your intended date of return. In some circumstances, it may take 2-3 months for a student visa to be decided.
If you found this information useful, please follow us on facebook.
Student visa extension process
- Organize new CoE. It may take a couple of days to get a new CoE, so don’t leave it for 11th hour.
- Extend your OSHC (health cover).
- Prepare a GTE letter (Genuine Temporary Entrant)
- Lodge an application for a student visa
- Wait for a student visa grant
- Enjoy once granted or contact us if case officer is asking for more documents / additional information
If you wish we can assist with the whole process. Engaging Nowak Migration in your visa process you’ll maximise your chances of success for a visa grant. Furthermore, we’ll also give you a hand in the future for any other visa enquires and/or applications. Knowing your history we’ll be able to pursue the best way to achieve your migration goals. We aim to provide assistance with the whole migration process, not just with a particular visa application.
Once application has been submitted
- Immigration will send to your nominated email account an acknowledgment letter with a copy of BVA.
- Check health assessment tab in IMMI account if medicals are required
- check your email for correspondence from immigration about the status of your visa application.
- once a while check status of your application in an IMMI account. It happens that emails land in a spam folder or are lost because of server failure.
Visa refused or application issues
It happens. If you are in Australia – there are the ways to satisfy case officer additional requirements or argue with a department of immigration. Sometimes the case officer is not satisfied with the information provided in a visa application. In such a situation they will usually send an email with IMMI s56 Request for More Information. It’s crucial to respond in the right way within a prescribed period of time. Even if your visa has been refused there is an avenue to appeal a decision and have the decision reversed.
Give us a call to have a chat about your situation, or contact us.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter: