Student visa extension

student visa extention kiltes and carousel

Do you wonder, how does student visa extension Australia process look like, because your current student visa will expire soon, right? Don’t be worry we’re here to help. Make yourself a favor and call us to discuss your options, or – continue reading.

Can I extend my student visa?

To continue studying in Australia after your current visa would expire you’ll have to lodge a new visa application. It is not possible to extend a validity of your current visa, the whole student visa process must be followed again. Simply speaking you’ll have to lodge a new visa application. Schools require international students to complete their course within the duration stated in the offer letter, but it’s up to you to take care of your visa.

Situation when you’d have to apply for student visa extension

  • You have enrolled into a new course of study
  • Your visa has been canceled by the Department of Immigration
  • Your current visa expires before you can complete your course (failed subjects, reduced study load, or leave of absence)
  • Your research candidature has been extended
  • Your postgraduate research thesis has been submitted for marking, but your current student expires before thesis marking can be finalized

Which course to choose for student visa extension

There is no easy answer to this question, and it all depends on your particular circumstances and future goals, whether you’d like to leave Australia after completion of your course or stay here permanently. There are some courses which might lead you to permanent residency and there might the ways to extend your stay in Australia in other ways than applying for another student visa. A discussion with a migration agent is always a good idea.

When to extend student visa

To be on a safe side you should apply 3 months before your current visa expires. Please keep in mind, that changing your level of study may require immediate visa application. Your visa is linked to the course of study you have enrolled into when applying for a visa. If you are changing course department must re-assess if you are still eligible for a visa. Sometimes they will let you keep your current visa, but in some circumstances, new student visa application will have to be lodged. Call us to discuss if you are not sure.

Applying in Australia

Before applying in Australia check if the “no further stay” condition has not been imposed to your visa. It may, or may not preclude you from applying for an extension of your student visa. Once again – call us to discuss.

It is imperative to apply for a new student visa before your current one would expire otherwise, you’ll become an unlawful non-citizen and you might be removed from Australia. In some circumstances, department of immigration is allowing applying for a student visa extension up to 28 calendar days after the expiry date of your current visa.
If you apply in Australia while holding a valid student visa you’ll also be granted with a bridging visa A (BVA), which will allow you to remain lawfully in Australia whilst your new visa is processing. BVA will come into effect automatically only if your new visa will not be decided before the expiry date of your current one. If you need to travel overseas while on BVA you’ll have to apply for BVB before departing Australia, otherwise you might not be allowed to re-entry Australia.

Applying outside Australia

If you do not have any current visa, you’ll have to wait for a student visa grant before coming back to Australia. Plan ahead wisely and factor all potential delays into your intended date of return. In some circumstances, it may take 2-3 months for a student visa to be decided.

If you found this information useful, please follow us on facebook.

Student visa extension process

  1. Organize new CoE. It may take a couple of days to get a new CoE, so don’t leave it for 11th hour.
  2. Extend your OSHC (health cover).
  3. Prepare a GTE letter (Genuine Temporary Entrant)
  4. Lodge an application for a student visa
  5. Wait for a student visa grant
  6. Enjoy once granted or contact us if case officer is asking for more documents / additional information

If you wish we can assist with the whole process. Engaging Nowak Migration in your visa process you’ll maximise your chances of success for a visa grant. Furthermore, we’ll also give you a hand in the future for any other visa enquires and/or applications. Knowing your history we’ll be able to pursue the best way to achieve your migration goals. We aim to provide assistance with the whole migration process, not just with a particular visa application.

Once application has been submitted

  • Immigration will send to your nominated email account an acknowledgment letter with a copy of BVA.
  • Check health assessment tab in IMMI account if medicals are required
  • check your email for correspondence from immigration about the status of your visa application.
  • once a while check status of your application in an IMMI account. It happens that emails land in a spam folder or are lost because of server failure.

Visa refused or application issues

It happens. If you are in Australia – there are the ways to satisfy case officer additional requirements or argue with a department of immigration. Sometimes the case officer is not satisfied with the information provided in a visa application. In such a situation they will usually send an email with IMMI s56 Request for More Information. It’s crucial to respond in the right way within a prescribed period of time. Even if your visa has been refused there is an avenue to appeal a decision and have the decision reversed.

Give us a call to have a chat about your situation, or contact us.

Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter:

59 thoughts on “Student visa extension

  • 20/03/2018 at 8:21 pm

    Dear sir or madam,
    I would like to renew or extend a student visa while studying in Australia. What is the best way to do it effectively? Please note that our visas are about to expire in 5 months time we are currently studying in Melbourne. Please advise us on how to renew or extend the visa as soon as possible.

    • 21/03/2018 at 9:54 pm

      You’ll have to enroll in another course and apply for a new visa. Give us a call if you need an assistance.

  • 24/03/2018 at 1:04 pm

    Hi, my visa expires in 3 months.. this is 6 months before my course finishes. What can I do to extend my visa?

    • 31/03/2018 at 10:05 am

      You have to apply for another student visa

  • 18/04/2018 at 11:55 pm

    My visa been canceled after 8 months I didn’t have COE. When it cancel I applied for partner visa and they refused and they gave me 35 days to leave or appeal. Is it possible to leave the country and apply for another student visa. I am scholarship student from my government.
    I just need to know how big chance they will except it or denied it.


    • 13/05/2018 at 10:48 am

      In my opinion, it’s always better to explore the onshore avenues than leaving the country to apply for any visa offshore.

  • 22/05/2018 at 9:46 pm

    I am going to study at TAFE NSW for 2 years and then trnsfer to a university but I have been granted visa for only 2 years, If I want to extend my visa up to more 2 years, should I show fund for three months

    • 23/05/2018 at 7:22 am

      You’ll apply for another student visa closer to the expiry date of the current one. Book a consultation if you need an assistance.

  • 30/05/2018 at 5:30 pm

    How much is the processing for student visa extension with dependent included ? Will it take longer than the student visa or is it the same time time??
    Please let me know

    • 01/06/2018 at 9:33 am

      Depends on the country of passport, course type, history of the visas applied in the past. Could be from 1 day to half a year.

  • 10/06/2018 at 6:37 am

    Respected sir/mam
    My graduate diploma is finishing within two days and my college is asking me to extend your Coe for a month because i miss two courses, i went overseas, and my visa is expiring in two months.
    is that safe for renewal student visa ?

    • 10/06/2018 at 8:03 am

      It seems you’ll have to apply for another student visa. Probably you’ll finish your course no a bridging visa.

  • 16/06/2018 at 5:17 pm

    My current visa will expire a few months before my course finally finish. What are the options available for the further extension as soon as my visa expires?

    Is there any circumstances immigration will consider to allow a further extension of student visa without applying for a new one?


    • 28/06/2018 at 7:53 am

      You have to apply for a new visa to be allowed to finish the course. Remember to apply before expiry date of your current visa.

  • 03/07/2018 at 9:37 am

    Hi my visa expires in September 2018
    I changed uni after first semester and changed course as well but I maintained the masters degree.
    Now the situation is I could only complete 50% of course. The institute saying we will cancel your COE.. please advise what should I do to continue my studies and get visa extension ??

    • 10/07/2018 at 6:41 pm

      Which Uni wants to cancel your CoE? First or second one?

  • 04/07/2018 at 10:30 am

    Good day,
    I need to extend my Student Visa to finish my Course but my IELTS result is already expired. Can I still use my recent IELTS result? The result is all 7 in 4 bands. Please advise. Many thanks!

    • 10/07/2018 at 6:37 pm

      Up to the case officer. If it is a visa application to finish the course I would expect a case officer to be reasonable and accept it.

  • 18/07/2018 at 5:26 pm

    Hi Charles,

    I am on the process of finishing my visa extension however there’s one thing that’s kind of hindering the process and it’s about the GTE. I just want to ask if I can use the same Statement of Purpose I used during my first student visa application?

    • 29/07/2018 at 10:35 am

      Every visa application is assessed against its own merits. If you think absolutely nothing has changed – in theory, yes.

  • 07/08/2018 at 2:52 pm

    Hi, My student visa expires on August 29th and my course ends on the 30th of September. I have been told I am not able to extend my visa and will need to re-apply for anther student visa to finish the diploma. I was trying to apply for a post graduate working visa, however I will not have enough hours completed for them to sign off on my certification early. What options do you suggest I have? Thankyou

    • 13/08/2018 at 10:55 am

      You need to apply for another student visa to be able to finish your course. Visitor visa sometimes does the trick as well, as a person can usually study on a visitor visa. Keep in mind – no work rights on a visitor visa.

  • 22/08/2018 at 1:46 am

    my visa expires on 19th March 2019. So is it possible for me to go to Nepal on Jan 2019 for a month and return on February and extend the visa?

    • 30/08/2018 at 10:13 am

      In theory – yes. Practically – they may start questioning you on the airport and send you back if you’ll tell them you are going to apply for another visa, so I’d suggest getting another visa before living Australia for a holiday.

      • 11/10/2019 at 11:20 pm

        Hi, my visa expires in Jan 2020. But my course will finish on August 2020. I am planning to leave Australia on November 2019 for holiday. I am currently applying for visa extension. If by November, I would not have my new visa approved, can I still go for holiday?

        • 15/12/2019 at 8:00 am

          You’ll have to apply and get permission to travel (Bridging Visa B) otherwise you’ll stuck overseas.

  • 24/08/2018 at 3:15 pm

    Hi, I’m currently doing MPA but I want to change my study. Can I change my study in diploma and apply for a new student visa. If I apply for a new student visa and get refusal than my current visa will be continue my visa is expiring 15th March 2019.

    • 30/08/2018 at 10:11 am

      If you are going down in AQF level, a new visa must be applied for. First of all, you’ll have to get a release letter from your current provided, otherwise, no school will give you a new CoE.

  • 27/08/2018 at 4:58 pm

    My student visa gonna finish this September 10th
    Just 20 days left for my visa
    BUT I haven’t finished my course yet.
    Can I extend my visa now
    If I put visa a week before is it fine?

    • 30/08/2018 at 10:02 am

      You have to apply for another visa allowing you to finish the course before your current visa would expire. In most scenarios, another student visa is applied for, however, visitor visa might be considered for a short period of time as well in some instances. Bear in mind there are no work rights on a visitor visa.

  • 30/08/2018 at 5:13 pm

    Myself Deep Chaklashiya from India.I am planning to do my bachelors from University of Canberra.My education counselor is providing me a student visa for completion of bachelors only i.e. for 3 years.After doing the bachelors if i plan for MBA so will i be able to get an extension for my further study ?

    • 03/09/2018 at 9:54 am

      It’s possible

  • 27/01/2019 at 11:42 am

    Hello this is my second time visa extension. First time I been to a consultancy to apply for visa extension but this time I am planning to apply myself. To start with last time when I extended I was left with 4 subjects including thesis. This time I failed in Thesis which in result I left with 2 subjects, so I will be a part time student this semester. My question is will this be a problem if I extend visa only for thesis

    • 11/02/2019 at 7:50 am

      If your school will provide new CoE – you’d be ok to apply for a new student visa otherwise, visitor visa might be an option.

  • 29/01/2019 at 6:50 pm

    I’m studying MPA, my visa will expire on Mar 15, 2019 and I still have 2 semester to finish. My IELTS already expired last April 2018
    My question is: When applying for student visa extension, is it a requirement to take IELTS TEST again?
    if yes, should it be IELTS how about PTE ?

    • 11/02/2019 at 7:46 am

      There are English exemptions for those who have studied in Australia. Have a feeling you’ll fall under the exemption and will not have to sit an English test again. Book a consultation so we;ll discuss.

    • 11/02/2019 at 7:46 am

      There are English exemptions for those who have studied in Australia. Have a feeling you’ll fall under the exemption and will not have to sit an English test again. Book a consultation so we’ll discuss.

  • 01/02/2019 at 10:11 pm

    Hey there
    My current student visa is expiring in July but I won’t be able to finish my studies until Dec. ,,, I’m currently doing bachelors of business and I’m on 500 visa which I have been granted after finishing of 573 two years ago so my question is… what are the chances of renewing my visa…? Also I will finish at least 18 units before renewing my visa.
    Many thanks

    • 11/02/2019 at 7:43 am

      You’ll need a new CoeE from your school and extention of OSHC. Casse officers are quite understanding for student visa grants if the reason is to finalize the course. You’ll have to apply for a new student visa.

  • 09/05/2019 at 4:35 pm

    Hello, my student extension visa has been lunch 55 days ago. Unfortunately, I have not got my extension VISA. How long does immigration take to give a decision? IS there is a possibility of cancelation. I am worried about it.

    • 07/07/2019 at 11:17 am

      It may take up to several months to get a student visa decided.
      There is a possibility of refusal, not a cancellation.

  • 16/05/2019 at 9:31 pm

    I changed my course and it is expected to finish on June, 2020. But, my student visa expires on 31 December, 2019. I came on an unpaid study leave from my government and my study leave is upto March, 2020. The government do not extend the unpaid study leave more than 24 months and even I do not need to go back to my country to do job as it is totally unpaid. So, while applying the student visa again, does it create any problem?

    • 07/07/2019 at 11:19 am

      If it is just for another month you may consider a visitor visa instead. You may study on a visitor visa up to 3 months. But it all depends on what is your plan after the study.

    • 19/11/2019 at 12:25 am

      Im aplying for student visa extension .immigration send Me s56 check list.
      There is a english language profieciency test .
      i gave the test i have 50 score in PTE (5.5BAND)
      Im still studying in Master in IT now .im pass 5 subjects in one year total 16 subjects
      Im in 3rd sem.
      IM asking to you
      Whats ur opinion,
      can immi cancel my visa or not?
      Tell me??

      • 15/12/2019 at 7:19 am

        I don’t see the reason why they’d be willing to cancel your visa.
        I believe the question here is whether they’ll grant you a new visa or not.
        If your level of English was their only concern, and you have provided with a valid test and required score – probably it’s just a matter of time before you’ll see the visa grant.

  • 19/05/2019 at 3:49 am

    Dear Sir or Madam,
    I was student in Australia for 6 months last year; however I withdrew and I am currently out of Australia for 5 months. I was wondering If I get acceptance and new coe from another institute I have to apply for visa again? Does new institute understand that I was student previously in Australia?

    • 03/06/2019 at 9:13 am

      No issues with getting a new CoE, and yes you’ll have to apply for a new student visa. You may also need to address recent withdrawal in a GTE assessment.

  • 16/10/2019 at 5:39 pm

    I’m Sri Lankan. I have student 500 will expire on this course is continue till next Feb due to course changes, but the same university. (southern cross university) so I want to extend my visa for four months. I live here with my husband and daughter. Daughter is 7 years old. I want to know whether should show funds for that 4 months period when applying for student visa Extention?

    • 15/12/2019 at 7:56 am

      If you do bachelor or masters and will be applying onshore it’s quite unlikely they’ll be asking for funds.
      Keep in mind it might take a while before they’ll decide your visa and if you’ll finish your UNI on a BVA before visa decision, they’ll refuse later based on the fact you are no longer registered in the course.

  • 29/11/2019 at 11:04 am

    i have applied for my wife on student spouse visa 4 month 15 days ago. Do you know why its been delay?

    • 15/12/2019 at 6:52 am

      Sorry to say, but it looks that subsequent applications for student dependants are taking quite long – sometimes half a year or more.
      As I am aware these applications are at the very end of the cue. First applications for PHD’s, masters and bachelors, then other primary applications, then subsequent.
      Think also about this: possible scenario – when you applied for a student visa – you have left your wife behind to prove you are a genuine temporary entrant, right? Now you want to bring her over. Will you be still considered a genuine temporary entrant?

  • 03/12/2019 at 12:19 pm

    Hi I Subhash need to extend my Student Visa for the second time is the process same as I extended first time or is something else I need to do, first I applied my self and got approved and what will be the cost of visa to extend a second time
    Thank you

    • 15/12/2019 at 6:45 am

      You’ll very likely have to apply for a student visa again. You’ll have to pay for a visa application and quite likely another $700 because you’re applying for another temporary visa onshore.
      If you need to extend your visa for another few weeks (max 12 weeks), you may consider visitor visa, but bear in mind there are no work rights on a visitor visa and if you plan to apply for 485 it will make you ineligible.
      Make yourself a favour and call us to discuss the way forward.

  • 19/12/2019 at 3:08 pm

    Hi. I want to extend my student Visa. I am from Pakistan. At the moment, I already completed 66 credits out of 96. Just remaining with 30 credits. Do I need a bank statement for student visa extension again?? or just the COE.

    • 30/12/2019 at 9:05 am

      Each application is assessed against its own merits.
      You may draft your application and you’ll see what documents will be requested.
      Let us know if you need an assistance with your visa application.

  • 09/01/2020 at 8:38 pm

    Hi, I am on student visa here and doing my Masters. We are going to apply for student visa extension in march 2020 as my course is not yet completed. My question here is do we(Wife , son ) all need to be onshore at the time of visa application? Because my son is in my home country and he also has a visa at present.

    Thanks a ton.

    • 10/01/2020 at 10:27 am

      Bear in mind if you’ll apply offshore and your visa will be refused ou will have no review rights.
      It’s safer to apply onshore (if no further stay has not been imposed) – you may get a bridging visa till the decision

  • 16/01/2020 at 10:45 pm

    Hi my daughter just completed wace as an international student and her student visa 500 expired 31 dec 2019. We are back in Australia to apply and sort out uni application matter and she finally got her offer letter out few days ago. Will it be a problem applying for new student visa because I saw in the form that new application should be made 28 days from the date of your student visa previous expiry. And we haven’t gotten her COE issued yet from the university.

    • 20/01/2020 at 9:04 am

      Sorry, but your question is all over the place and can’t get clear info on the situation…
      Let’s assume – your daughter is now in Australia on a visitor visa and “no further stay condition” has not been imposed – if that’s the case she might be eligible for a student visa.

Comments are closed.