Australian permanent residency for New Zealand citizens

Why New Zealanders would apply for a permanent residency in Australia

Australian permanent residency for New Zealand citizens. New Zealand citizens can come to Australia and remain here indefinitely with full work rights as holders of a Special Category Subclass 444 visas. Usually, there is no need to apply for a 444 visa before embarking the plane as this visa is granted on arrival. So why New Zealanders would apply for an Australian permanent residency at all? There are few reasons:

  • although New Zealanders are eligible for Medicare in Australia, they are not eligible for any social benefits from Centrelink such as welfare payments, unemployment or sickness benefits, or disaster relief
  • New Zealand citizens can’t get student loans to study in Australia (there are some exemptions)
  • New Zealanders can’t take the jobs where a person must be an Australian Citizen or permanent resident. Even being a postie in Australia is not an option for a Kiwi.
  • New Zealanders can’t take a job in an Australian Army or Australian Government
  • Kids of NZ can’t represent Australia in international competitions
  • If a family member is not a New Zealand citizen they must apply and renew now and then their temporary New Zealand dependent visa
  • New Zealanders can’t vote in Australia
  • and so on…

For most of our New Zealand client’s, it’s about their own security and future of their children. Kids can be included in their parents’ application as dependents and this way they can become a PR in Australia. Once kids will finish their school and start working, they’ll have to apply for their own permanent residency visa, which may be difficult if not impossible.

Former Permanent Resident

New Zealanders who travelled to Australia for any reason before 1 September 1994 were regarded as ‘exempt non-citizens’ under Australian migration law and are now considered to be ‘former permanent residents’.

If you visited Australia as an NZ citizen before this date, you can apply to the Department of Home Affairs to have your permanent resident status reinstated. This is done by applying for a Resident Return Visa (RRV).

If RRV granted, then after a year you may become eligible for a Citizenship

Eligible New Zealand Citizens

Kiwis who were in Australia on 26 of February 2001 are considered as Eligible New Zealand Citizens and might be eligible for Australian citizenship if they would have lived in Australia for a couple of years before applying for a citizenship. There are specific requirements which must be met.

To be considered as an Eligible New Zealand Citizen a holder of a New Zealand passport, either:

  • must have been present in Australia on 26 February 2001 as SCV visa holder
  • must have a certificate issued under the Social Security Act 1991 stating that they were residing in Australia on a particular date. These certificates are no longer issued.
  • those who were outside Australia on 26 February 2001, but before that date were living in Australia as an SCV holder for a total of 12 months in the two years prior to that date, and then returned to Australia

Those New Zealanders who have missed the February 2001 deadline, before being eligible for Australian citizenship, must become an Australian Permanent resident, which means they must apply for an Australian permanent residency visa if they want to become an Australian citizen.

I’ll explain different Australian Permanent Residency visas available for New Zealand citizens in a moment.

Citizenship for a child born in Australia

This is an interesting one. A child born in Australia and living here all their life is becoming an Australian Citizen on their 10th birthday. Irrespectively what kind of visa they have held or if they had a visa at all. It’s an operation of law – you do not even have to apply for citizenship for your kid. You will have to apply for a citizenship confirmation, so yes – some paperwork is still required – we’re more than happy to assist.

189 Visa New Zealand stream

189 NZ visa requirements

australian permanent residency for new zealand citizens kiwis in ozA new stream for New Zealand citizens has been introduced to the Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa.

The new pathway makes it possible for NZ citizens who have lived in Australia for 5 years and who have been earning taxable income in Australia to qualify for permanent residence. Legislation has passed through parliament on 18/05/2017 and the visa criteria are:

  • There is no age limit for primary applicant
  • Primary 189 NZ stream visa applicant must be a holder of 444 special category visa
  • Secondary applicants (immediate family members) might be a holder of any substantive visa, BVA, BVB or BVC
  • The primary visa applicant must have been usually resident in Australia for a continuous period of at least 5 years immediately before the date of visa application.
  • Primary applicant must have arrived in Australia after 26 February 2001 but before 20 February 2016 (NZ citizens who were living in Australia before 26 February 2001 might be considered “eligible New Zealand citizen” and might be eligible for citizenship straight away)
  • Primary applicant must have earned taxable income at or above the TSMIT (Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold – currently $53,900) for last 4 financial years within 5 years period of residence in Australia
  • Copies of tax liability in relation to the 4 most recently completed income years before the date of the application (during the period of 5 years immediately before that date) will have to be provided, so despite visa will be available from 01/07/2017 application will have to be lodged once a tax return for FY16/17 will be acknowledged by ATO.
  • All family members will have to meet health and character requirements

In very limited circumstances a waiver might be available for the taxable income requirement – for example, primary carers of children who are unable to return to New Zealand due to custody or access issues.

There is no capping or occupation ceiling for 189 NZ stream, it should stay as part of migration program for years. If you do not qualify yet you might become eligible in next couple of years, so “sweet as Bro”!

Concession on 189 NZ visa application fee

The visa application fee is the same as for another subclass 189 applicants. However, New Zealanders applying under the new pathway will only have to pay 20% of the application fees of lodgement, with the remainder payable before visa grant. As of 01/07/2017 189 visa fees are as follow:

  • Primary applicant: $4,045
  • Adult dependent: $2,020
  • Child Dependent (each): $1,015

Are you ready to apply for 189 NZ stream visa?

There is a lot of documents which will have to be submitted to the department of immigration with a visa application and the fees for a visa are rather high. I guess you would like to maximize your chances for a visa grant, so take this opportunity and let me take care of your visa application. Before going ahead with 189 we’ll check if there aren’t other options for you and your family to become Australian PR.

Impact on Migration Program

Skilled Independent applicants currently need to meet a range of criteria that applicants in the NZ citizen stream would not – namely:

  • Skills Assessment in an occupation on the Skilled Occupations List
  • English Language Testing
  • Passing the skilled migration points test
  • Receiving an invitation via SkillSelect
  • Paying the full application fees at lodgement
  • Maximum age limit of 49

There is virtually no commonality with the proposed NZ citizen stream, so the rationale for including it within the Skilled Independent subclass is not clear. There is a possibility for applicants who do meet the demanding requirements for skilled independent migration to be disadvantaged if NZ citizen applicants receive priority, but would that be a concern for New Zealanders?

There may be 60-70,000 New Zealanders who may be eligible for the new stream – as there are only 44,000 places available for the skilled independent subclass each year, this may mean it will be more competitive to obtain an invitation for a subclass 189 visa. The impact is likely to be significant in the first few years as New Zealanders who were previously not eligible for permanent residence make applications. The impact is likely to decline thereafter.

As the New Zealanders need to have been resident for the last 5 years in Australia, there would be no impact on Net Overseas Migration. We would argue that the new stream should operate outside the Migration Program, or at least should not count towards the quota for the 189 program. This would allow New Zealanders to apply without restriction, but limit the impact on others seeking to apply for Skilled Migration.

If you are not eligible for 189 NZ stream there might be the other options available as for any other nationalities, such as:

  • 189 / 190 / 489 skilled stream
  • ENS visa (186 visa) (there are special provisions for New Zealanders within ENS and RSMS visa programs)
  • RSMS visa (187 visa)
  • Family visas (partner, parent, child)
  • Business visas (888, 132)

If you would like advice on your migration options, please book a consultation with one of our migration advisors or give us a call.

232 thoughts on “Australian permanent residency for New Zealand citizens

  • 26/03/2017 at 12:36 pm

    Hi. I was wondering if you would still qualify for the new migration pathway for New Zealand Citizens if the average of the last five years is greater than TSMIT but you took a year off work in the middle to look after a sick partner? E.g. the average of 125K + 125K + 0 + 125K + 125K is 100K pa.

    • 27/06/2017 at 10:51 am

      Must be for last consecutive 4 financial years unless exemption does apply, so I am afraid you will not qualify, but you may qualify in next 2 years assuming you’ll earn above threshold.

      • 29/03/2018 at 9:45 pm

        Hi, i have been working at retail store more than 5 years and earn more than 53k per annual year, would I be eligible to qualify for the new migration pathway?

  • 24/04/2017 at 2:31 pm

    My husband is on a 461 visa currently living in Australia I am a nd citerzin. We are wanting to apply for nd permanent residency. R we able to apply from Australia or do we need to be living in nz?. What is the procedure of doing this?

    • 27/06/2017 at 10:55 am

      Not sure about the question? If you are asking about New Zealand permanent residency for your husband, I can’t help you with that.
      As a holder of 444 SC visa you may be eligible for Australian permanent residency and also your husband as secondary applicant even if he does hold 461 visa.

  • 25/04/2017 at 11:50 pm

    what about for young new zealanders in there 20’s who do not earn that much? but have been here in australia for the last 10 – 15years , and not had any criminal records etc..

    • 27/06/2017 at 11:03 am

      Here’s a quite interesting example why New Zealanders living in Australia who care about their children should get their permanent residency – because children as dependents will become Australian permanent residents as well. Once a child turns 18 and is not going to school is not considered as dependent anymore and needs to get their own PR visa (there are some exemptions, so child up to 23 years old might be considered a dependent for 189 NZ visa). There aren’t that many options – what comes to my mind is Partner visa (if in a relationship with an Australian) or ENS visa (if employer willing to help).

  • 29/06/2017 at 9:10 am

    I have 2 questions with regard to the new stream:

    1. My partner – NZ citizen has arrived in Australia on February 16th, 2016, just a few days before the cutoff. He signed the flat rental lease on the 20th with a lease commencement date of March 1st. Does it make him NOT ususally resident and eligible? He has correspondences with estate agent within in that 3 days to show he was looking for a place to settle though.

    2. I see NZ citizens will be exempt from newly introduced Australian citizenship rules, i.e. can apply for citizenship after 12 month once the PR is granted. Does this also apply to the partner if included in the new 189 visa?


    • 17/08/2017 at 11:56 am

      1. As long as he arrived before the cutoff date and got settled right after, shall be fine.
      2. Still waiting for legislation – don’t have the answer to that.

  • 29/06/2017 at 10:01 pm

    Hi there, just wondering my family and I have been settled in Australia for 5years.. The first 2years we were here I didn’t work due to no work experience, however I went back to do a course with in that 2 years and I graduated as a nurse… I started working, 2014/15 financial year I earned $48,000 before tax in 10months 2nd year 2015/16 I earned $58,000 before tax and 2016/17 financial year I am going to lodge my tax and my income is $63,500
    So my family and I can apply for this please???

    • 17/08/2017 at 11:54 am

      Assuming you’ll earn above the threshold for next 3 financial years you may become eligible for 189 NZ stream visa in 2020. Have a chat with your employer if they would like to help you become a PR and sponsor you for ENS visa. There are special provisions for New Zealanders when it comes to Employer Sponsored Permanent visas. If they’d like to assist let them give us a call to +61 (7) 3668 0658

  • 01/07/2017 at 7:13 pm

    I wish to apply under the new scheme. I have been in Australia for 11 years working as a teacher.
    I have all the Notices of Assessment sent to me by the ATO for the years I have worked. I have made a substantial “Salary Sacrifice” every month from 2008 and my employer has sent it to my Super Fund.
    The Taxable Income shown in the Notices of Assessments does not show these amounts. As such in some years I am unable to meet the minimum threshold of $53,900. My gross salary should be the Taxable income (taxed by ATO) plus the Salary Sacrifice (taxed by the Super Fund and the taxed amount sent to ATO). However the Payment summary for the year endings show the Gross payments and the Reportable employer superannuation contributions.

    So how can I reconcile this as the Notices of Assessment does not show my gross salary and this is the document I have to submit when applying.

    • 17/08/2017 at 11:50 am

      It must be taxable income above the threshold. Please discuss with your accountant.

  • 02/07/2017 at 9:34 am

    Hello i have been working with my company from last 13 years and from year 2012 my income is above 54,000 to 59,000 but in year 2014 and 15 financial year I have to take three months off due to my wife sickness and to take care of my kids for that you my income was only $48,000 am I still able to apply for a residency and I also have a carer leaves letter from my employer.
    2) Do i need to wait for this year tex return or can apply with my last 5years tex return reports.if they are above $55,000 each year.

    • 03/12/2017 at 8:02 am

      You must have earned over the threshold 4 in 5 years before applying for a visa.

  • 03/07/2017 at 4:56 pm

    Hi. My husband arrived AU at the end of November 2012, and the income earned as,
    2012/2013 $21500 (not the full financial year), rest of the years have been over the threshold. As only four notice of Assessments are required, can we submit 2013/2014, 2014/2015, 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 (4 notice of assessments) and apply at the end of November 2017, or wait until July 2018? Thanks.

    • 17/08/2017 at 11:48 am

      November shall be fine.

  • 15/07/2017 at 8:25 pm

    Hi sir
    I came in Australia in aug 2012, got permanent residency in dec 2014 . I am a new Zealand Citizen ,. STILL LIVING IN AUSTRALIA . MY QUESTION IS AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP Thanks Shimmi

    • 17/08/2017 at 11:45 am

      We’re still waiting for legislation to go through Parliament. Don’t have an answer to this question yet.

  • 17/07/2017 at 10:24 am

    my income is above the threshold according to my group certificates , however in the notice of assessment fell below it because of applying negative gearing and other tax deductions . would I still qualify

    • 17/08/2017 at 11:43 am

      Must be taxable income. Have a chat with your accountant what you can to amend an assessment.

  • 18/07/2017 at 12:26 am

    I came to Australia from NZ in 1996.I have 2 children born here 1 in 1997 and the other in 2000.The children are Australian citizens both parents are kiwis.We have never had to become residents as this was automatic.This year I have applied for a house loan and have been told to get in touch with immigration as I am not a resident.My family tax has been cut off also apparently pending information from the immigration department.We work,pay taxes etc.What can we do?

    • 17/08/2017 at 11:42 am

      If you’ve been living in Australia since 1996, you might be considered as “eligible New Zealand citizen”. There are special provisions for New Zealanders who came to Australia before 26 February 2001. You might be pleasantly surprised, that you are very likely eligible for Australian Citizenship. Please give us a call or contact us through this form discuss your options.

  • 06/08/2017 at 1:35 pm

    My husband is on 461 visa and has been working for the last 5years we have been here. I am NZ citizen with 2kids born here in 2012 and 2014. Can we apply for the Australian residency visa?

  • 11/08/2017 at 3:40 pm

    What taxable income include? Wage, rental income ?

    • 17/08/2017 at 11:15 am

      Source of income does not really. What department requires is a statement from ATO.

  • 17/08/2017 at 12:13 pm

    What does a 17-year-old New Zealand citizen who has been living in Australia for 9 years, need to do to apply for permanent residency? Do I need to apply for a special category 444 visa? ( I have completed all schooling in Australia)

    • 21/08/2017 at 11:50 am

      The best would be if parent(s) would qualify and apply for PR and their 17 years old child would be included in their PR application as a dependent.

    • 06/09/2017 at 8:33 pm

      My Name Nannette, i am NZ citizen but i want to apply for Australia permanent residency, Just wondering Can i apply permanent residency for australia while i am living in NZ ?
      How much going to cost me ?
      What is the time processing time ?

      • 27/09/2017 at 9:43 am

        Simple answer is yes – you can, but if you are eligible for Australian PR depends on your situation. We’d have to check your skills and family composition to determine your eligibility for PR visa.

  • 28/08/2017 at 1:21 pm

    I came to Australia in 1981 from New Zealand and my first international flight from Australia was January 2011,Was I automatically approved permanent residency when I arrived in 1981?I still have the original passport which I cam to Australia with in 1981 and what steps do I need to prove that I have permanent-residency or not?

    • 27/09/2017 at 10:04 am

      You shall be considered so-called “eligible New Zealand citizen”. There are special provisions for people like you, and very likely you might be eligible for citizenship already. We’d have to discuss.

  • 01/09/2017 at 3:28 pm

    Hi I’m a 22 years old New Zealand citizen, I have been living in Australia since 2007, I’m still confused on how i become a Australian permanent residedent or if its possible? Thanks

  • 07/09/2017 at 8:19 pm

    I came to Australia in September 2016 m I able to apply for Australia permanent residency if not then when can I apply and what is the requirements thanks

    • 27/09/2017 at 9:39 am

      189 NZ stream is not an option, but there might be some other options for you. Give us a call to discuss.

  • 09/09/2017 at 1:48 pm

    What is the option for NZ citizen who have arrived in Australia now (for example arrived in 2017 which is after 20 February 2016 as mentioned above). How can they attain Australian Permanent Residency?

    • 27/09/2017 at 9:34 am

      You must have arrived before a specific date to be eligible for 189 NZ stream. So this option is not for you, unfortunately.
      You may:
      1. Apply for 189 visa in the same way as the other nations.
      2. Fall in love with an Aussie girl or boy and apply for a partner visa
      3. Find an employer willing to help with getting an employer-sponsored PR visa.
      or just call us and we’ll have a look at your situation.

  • 27/09/2017 at 6:22 pm

    Hi there,

    My Husband and I are planning to move to Australia next year. We are NZ citizens. We are considering of obtaining permanent residency there. We are planning to look for an employer who will support our residency application. Do we need to find a job within the skilled category or could that be any job? What is the minimum income requirement? How long do we have to be employed for before we can apply for our permanent residency? Thank you.

    • 03/12/2017 at 8:00 am

      There are special provision for employer-sponsored permanent residency visas for New Zealanders. Please book a consultation if you’d like to discuss:

  • 27/09/2017 at 10:40 pm

    Hi i came australia in 2008 but not eorking ss im full time carer for my daughter with epilepsy, autism and intelle the ual disability. My husbsnd works but his income b is less than the requiremnt. Am i eligible for aus pr if i be the main applicant and get the exemption for taxable income

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:58 am

      I am afraid your daughter will not pass health criteria for a visa.

  • 06/10/2017 at 12:17 am

    I’m a NZ Citizen, have lived in Australia solidly since 2011. I meet the required income level since then. I have a drunk driving conviction in NZ from 2009, only one. Considering some info I read online about spent convictions, do I have to wait until 10 years have past since the conviction before applying for permanent residency?

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:56 am

      Department is asking you to disclose all the offenses, no matter if removed from official records or not. We can argue with a department and have your visa granted despite the offense. Book a consultation if you’d like to discuss:

  • 06/10/2017 at 6:54 pm

    Hi there, we just wondering if we are qualified to apply Australian permanent residency .My husband and I we are working in Australia for 5 years.He was earning more than 70,000 a year.Last year he had a stroke in Australia .This year we have to come here in New Zealand.Because we are having financial issues in Australia .But we still love to go back to Australia.Thanks

    • 03/12/2017 at 8:06 am

      You must be physically in Australia to apply for 189 NZ visa.

  • 12/10/2017 at 11:08 am

    I am a NZ citizen living in Australia since 2002 on Special Category Visa.
    While my application for PR in 189 NZ Stream being processed, can I go overseas and return back in Australia on SCV?

  • 13/10/2017 at 8:31 am

    For a kiwi who fits the necessary criteria but has a minor drink driving conviction, how many years must have passed until they can apply for residency in Australia?

    • 03/12/2017 at 8:04 am

      Department want you to declare all the offenses no matter if they’re removed from official records or not.

  • 18/10/2017 at 6:46 pm

    Hi am living in Melbourne since 2007. My income for past 4 Years
    1) 2013/2014 = $50,900
    2) 2014/2015 = $68,000
    3) 2015/2016 = $92,000
    4) 2016/2017 = $95,000
    5) 2017/2018 = Will be above $60,000.
    Am short of $3,000 in my First Year and am at the age of 51 Years by next year.
    Would I be eligible to appy for this Visa?
    How long time will it take for processing this Visa?
    Srikanth Bathini

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:53 am

      Apply after FY 17/18. Age does not matter for NZ stream of 189.

  • 24/10/2017 at 12:17 pm

    Hubby & I are both from NZ and arrived from NZ March 2001 (so just missed by a month) we have had two kids born in Aus (2011 & 2013) had to get them NZ citizenship to get passports. We qualify for the 189. Just not sure whether to include the kids on the family claim to apply for PR, as I have read that when they are 10 they get it??

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:51 am

      If you want to save few dollars and take the risk they’ll be left with no Australian residence or citizenship if you’d have to leave the country for some reason before they’ll turn 10…

  • 26/10/2017 at 9:23 am

    I moved to Australia from nz September 2009, worked from 2009 up until 2016. Quit my job and have been travelling for just over a year. Can I still apply for PR? Or am I not allowed try to because I have been travelling for just over a year. I still have a property in Aus and will be back in a few months

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:47 am

      You might not be able to fulfill “usually resident in Australia” criteria, but after few years you might still be eligible for this visa.

  • 26/10/2017 at 5:36 pm

    My husband and daughter are both NZ and I am from the UK. we arrived in Australia in Jan 2013 unfortunately due to family ill health we had to return to the uk in September 2017. Are we still able to apply for the new NZ pathway visa from outside Australia and is the 5 years resident in Australia a strict rule?

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:43 am

      5 years is a strict rule, you must be in Australia to apply for 189 NZ stream

  • 27/10/2017 at 9:00 am

    I moved to Australia from NZ in Sept 2009 and worked up until August 2016. I quit my job in 2016 and have been travelling every since and will only be back in Australia in June 2018.

    I still have a property in Aus and that is where my home is. As I have been away for over an year now , will I still be eligible under this stream.

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:42 am

      You may become eligible after another few years.

  • 06/11/2017 at 11:08 am

    Primary visa applicant must have been usually resident in Australia for a continuous period of at least 5 years immediately before the date of visa application.
    what is the definition for this?
    I’ve worked in Australia for 6 years in the sugar industry as a seasonal worker and earn an excess of the minimum taxable requirements . During the off season I travel around the world for about 5 months a year.
    I consider australia my home and come back every year to work the season, would I qualify for the 189 visa?

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:40 am

      Definition of “usually resident” is quite vague, however, if it’s 3 months or less overseas that would qualify.

  • 10/11/2017 at 8:03 am

    Once you lodge the application for 189 visa, how long will it take to know that you’ve been granted a visa or been denied?

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:36 am

      From my experience, it could be about 4-5 months

  • 12/11/2017 at 8:12 am

    Been in Australia since 1986, have passport to prove etc, divorced and remarried in Australia etc etc etc. Am I eligible for Australian citizenship straight away.

  • 16/11/2017 at 11:35 am

    I am a NZ Citizen. I arrived August 17th 2001.
    My defacto partner of 16 years is an Australian
    We have 2 Australian children (Passport holders) I am a Enrolled Nurse.
    I do not earn over $55,000 per year.
    As my defacto has always been the higher earner while I raise our kids and finish my studies. What visa would I be eligible for to then continue to Citizenship?
    Thank you Amber

    • 29/12/2017 at 10:24 am

      I am eligible for Australian citizenship as I have lived here for 20yrs. I understand if I apply after I turn 60 I will not be required to take the citizenship test?

      • 29/12/2017 at 10:48 am

        You might be right, dependant if the law will not change again by then.

  • 17/11/2017 at 3:47 pm

    Hi, I am a New Zealand Citizen with a PR status (on a disability support pension), I lived in Sydney from December 2001 to January 2009,, then off to New Zealand and back to Australia in November 2015. Can I apply now for Australian Citizenship or Not? Regards Azza Rezk

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:29 am

      Main criteria for citizenship application – you’d have to live in Australia for last 4 years.

  • 19/11/2017 at 7:43 pm

    Hi my daughter is an Australian citizen (qualified on her 10th birthday) we tick all the boxes for visa189 subclass NZ but are unsure if we have 2 put her on our application or get health and police checks for her? We also have a 16 year old son who wasn’t born in Australia do we need to get q police check for him? Thanks for your help

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:27 am

      Did you get your daughter’s citizenship sorted?
      If your son is over 16, the department may ask for his police check.

  • 20/11/2017 at 12:40 pm

    Hi my husband came on a 444 visa . He had a job offer in far North Queensland.
    I joined him in 31 march 2005. I worked in the disability sector. DHS. My son finished high school and Uni here now he’s 27 yrs . He came when he was 15 yrs. now my husband being in charge of Tafe Taught at RMIT. Campus manager,
    And last role compliance manager in education. Currently for the past 2 yrs he’s not held a steady job due to govt cut backs. Can he still apply for PR. he has the degrees and qualifications I just have Cert 4 in disability.
    Can you please advice

    • 20/11/2017 at 12:44 pm

      Can you please inform me if he is eligible . We made salary threshold I made mine . Just only 2 yrs he did not make his threshold. Can u pls let us know how we go about this

      • 03/12/2017 at 7:21 am

        need more information.

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:24 am

      FEw questions – when your husband came first to Australia, how much did he earn over last couple of years, is there any employer willing to sponsor him for a visa. Please book an appointment so we can discuss:

  • 21/11/2017 at 9:12 pm

    Is there any way a retired NZ citizen now living in Australia since Dec 2016, can be eligible for permanent residency or citizenship?

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:20 am

      Parent visa if children would become PR’s or citizens come to mind.

  • 25/11/2017 at 7:50 am

    Hi I arrived in Australia in 1980 and lived here on and off for a period of 7 years..3 yrs being the longest.

    Would I be already be a permanent resident?

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:18 am

      Very likely – yes

  • 27/11/2017 at 10:12 am

    I’ve been living in Australia since 2007.
    No criminal convictions, no health problems.
    My total income for last 5 years = $55,000.00 PA Before Tax.
    Am I eligible to apply under new program?


    • 03/12/2017 at 7:17 am

      Looks ok, as long as 55k is a taxable income.

  • 30/11/2017 at 9:04 pm

    Hi there. What if my income threshold falls short by $900 for one year but the rest is well above the required amount? Would they let that through? Ive been living here since 2005.


    • 03/12/2017 at 7:15 am

      It’s 4 of last 5 years, so if one year of five was short, shall be ok.

  • 04/12/2017 at 5:20 pm

    Hi there, if I was a sole trader on ABN can I apply for the 189 visa? Thanks.

    • 05/12/2017 at 6:43 am

      as long as your individual income was above threshold shall be fine

      • 04/02/2018 at 12:17 pm

        Hi, i read on the immi website FAQ that business income was not allowed to be used to make up the $53,900 threshold? Is there a chance they request your tax returns as supporting documentation and it will show the business income makes up the taxable income?

        • 08/02/2018 at 9:31 pm

          Your personal taxable income is being assessed. I’d suggest discussing with your accountant if you have doubts.

  • 12/12/2017 at 9:46 pm

    Hi Karol
    I am a NZ citizen recently moved to Australia. I am a qaulified Diesel Mechanic and have been able to get a job with truck dealership. Is there any options for me to apply for PR?

    • 13/12/2017 at 7:59 am

      Certainly. Tell them to sponsor you for a permanent visa or you’ll find another employer 😉 Give us a call and I’ll let you know what to do.

  • 15/12/2017 at 1:48 pm

    My daughter has subclass 186 visa for Australian PR.. When can she apply for citizenship ?
    My husband n I are both in mid to late 60s both working n physically fit. However salary falls bit short for applying under pathway visa. We are NZ citizens living here since can we become Australian citizens as we want to make Australia our home.

    • 15/12/2017 at 3:16 pm

      Daughter – very likely after 4 years living in Australia altogether including 1 year as PR.
      Husband and you – ask an employer if they’ll sponsor you for 186 – quite straightforward for New Zealanders – I’m happy to assist.

      • 16/12/2017 at 4:38 pm

        Is age not an issue with employer sponsor?

        • 17/12/2017 at 10:00 am

          Not for New Zealanders

          • 18/12/2017 at 3:46 pm

            Wat are ur charges like and how long is the process to get PR

  • 15/12/2017 at 5:36 pm

    I was looking at applying for the 461 visa for my partner of 8 months who currently resides in Dubai and is a Phillipines national. I qualify for the 189 NZ stream visa based on my assessment of the criteria. Would the best process be to apply for the 461 (as I believe my partner will need to have a visa before she can be added as a partner to a 189 application) and if granted, we apply for the 189 once she is in Australia, with myself as the primary applicant? I cannot add her as a partner on a 189 application at this stage as she has no Australian visa whatsoever. Would this be the best process to follow. Thanks in advance.

    • 16/12/2017 at 9:30 am

      You might add a partner to 189 even if she does not have an Australian visa. Prooving your relationship could be challenging as I can see. Give me a call to discuss.

      • 16/12/2017 at 11:25 am

        Thank you, will call late next week when I have free time to discuss

  • 17/12/2017 at 4:35 pm

    dear Karol, what is the time frame from becoming a PR eg via 189 Visa stream and becoming a citizen?
    Do Kiwis with completed 189 stream visas have access to study loans pension etc?


    • 18/12/2017 at 8:25 am

      Currently – another year on 189 NZ stream and you’ll be eligible for citizenship (may change from 01/07/2018)

  • 18/12/2017 at 12:01 am

    hi. i have noa from ato.
    2012- 51990
    2013 53099
    2014 47119
    2015 57770
    2016 60505
    2017 56900
    Do you think can i apply now?? I had my kids at 2013, 2015, 2017.. 2014 year income is bit low. because had to take long holiday. my wife had home sick(but have no proof..) Thanks.

    • 18/12/2017 at 8:26 am

      You’ll have to wait for another year very likely

  • 18/12/2017 at 12:57 pm

    Hello, I was here for a few months in 1999, then returned in 2006. I have a son who was born here, he is currently 6. Do I wait till he is 10 and he becomes a citizen and gain my permanent residency in the back of his citizenship? Have earned above the threshold every year and own a house here if that matters.

    • 20/12/2017 at 8:29 pm

      1. you will not be able to get a PR on the back of your son’s citizenship.
      2. if you have earned above the threshold and have a house – we can assist with the visa application if you wish -give us a call to discuss

  • 21/12/2017 at 5:30 pm

    Hi, can I apply for NZ 189 visa providing the following:
    year 2017 $71000
    year 2016 $69000
    year 2015 $72719
    year 2014 $52573
    year 2013 $41168

    So I am short for 1 year. I know this year i will have enough as well. Can I still apply now?

    • 26/12/2017 at 11:04 am

      Assuming you’ll earn above the threshold now, you’ll have to wait for another year for 189 NZ stream visa.

  • 26/12/2017 at 7:45 pm

    Any information/criteria about Kiwi pathway to Oz residency for those who moved after February 2016?

    • 27/12/2017 at 9:43 am

      Skilled visa, employer-sponsored permanent residency, partner visa – just to mention a few.

      • 30/12/2017 at 11:45 pm

        For kiwis over 45 years of age who moved to oz early this year, is there any independent option towards Australian residency apart from ENS or partner sponsored? Australian immigration website specifies additional pathway to residency only for those who moved to oz until February 2016.

        • 02/01/2018 at 7:32 am

          Business visa is the other option. There are special provisions for Kiwis – they can apply for 888 straight away without applying for 188 first. You’ll have to run a successful business though…

  • 29/12/2017 at 10:16 am

    I have NZ citizenship (am British) and my children where born in NZ
    We arrived in 1997 and granted residency in our passports which are now outdated
    children were 5 and 7 and have been schooled here, I work full time in a government job
    Now my daughter is sick and needs disability support we are struggling to navigate centrelink requirements even though we entered Australia prior to the 2001 cut off period. What do I need to do, I was considering taking Australian citizenship but i need things to be explained in easy to understand terms

    • 29/12/2017 at 10:49 am

      Looks like you’re eligible for citizenship already. Give us a call to discuss the way forward. We may assist with the whole process.

  • 30/12/2017 at 7:29 am

    Hi Karol,

    I am a NZ Citizen and have been here since 2nd March 2013. I worm as a disability support worker and I am looking into applying for PR and eventually Citizenship. I would love to study nursing eventually as well. I am currently pregnant and have a Australia boyfriend, does this make any difference to the process? I am not sure what I am required to do. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. Just really unsure.

    • 30/12/2017 at 8:52 am

      Hi Jackie
      options you may have to get a PR:
      1. ask an employer if they’d sponsor you for an ENS / RSMS visa
      2. apply for a partner visa- not the cheapest, but by the look of it the best option for you
      And the kid will have Oz and Kiwi passports straight away, how convenient 😉

  • 30/12/2017 at 7:48 pm

    Hey guys,
    I’m a 22 year old kiwi that moved 3 years ago on my own and have a fulltime job earning about 45k a year? I do have a australia boyfriend. Just wondering what my options are for PR as I would like to stay in Aus to study to be a vet. Thanks

    • 30/12/2017 at 9:00 pm

      Ask employer if they’d sponsor you for an ENS/RSMS visa if no – best way seems to be a partner visa.

  • 01/01/2018 at 11:47 pm

    AM NZ passport holder…I have a 16yrs old daughter, been studying in Aussie since 11yrs old…can she apply PR on her own, whats the fee? I also have 2 kids born in Aussie should I apply for them or wait til they are 10yrs…whats happens if we go lives esle where and returns later in their teens…can they get Citizenship?
    I have worked over 5.5yrs wondering if they include my maternity leaves or Fringe benefits? If do that means it over 54K…also is it 5 yrs of income or 4yrs?

    • 02/01/2018 at 7:30 am

      for 189 NZ stream visa what’s on a Tax return matters for a taxable income. Maternity leave could be taken into consideration in some instances if you do not pass an income test.

  • 02/01/2018 at 5:58 am

    I arrived in 2002
    I have been here continuously till 2017
    I went to Japan in 2017 and got married.
    I had a relationship with my wife for 15 years prior.where she travelled here multipul times over that period.
    Question..because i arrived after 2001 and then travelled in 2017 can i become a Australian Citizenship? Or does it start again.
    What visa is best for my wife as we both find it very difficlt to work out if she qualifys as on a partner visa..and its very expesensive.
    What are our sensible options
    Thank you.

    • 02/01/2018 at 7:26 am

      I’m assuming you have a NZ passport right?
      For your wife there is a NZ family dependant visa – subclass 461 – give me a call we might be able to get thet sorted given you are going to come back to Australia and stay here.
      Citizenship – looks like you’d have to become a permanent resident first t be eligible for citizenship.

  • 03/01/2018 at 2:53 pm

    My to-be husband (from 28.9.18) is a Australia Citizen; he obtained citizenship from being a SCV holder (arrived prior to 2001). What are my options for PR? Am I able to be his dependent? We have both have earned above the threshold for the past 3 years that I have lived here.

    • 03/01/2018 at 5:00 pm

      You didn’t mention which country passport do you have.

      • 03/01/2018 at 9:38 pm

        Sorry… New Zealand Citizen 🙂

        • 03/01/2018 at 10:07 pm

          You can wait another year to become eligible for 189 Nz stream visa (probably preferred option) or go ahead with a partner visa (more expensive option) – give us a call if you’d like to discuss

  • 03/01/2018 at 3:27 pm

    Hi im on student visa and im here from more than 3 years and from last 6 months i have new Zealand citized girlfriend and she is from last year i just wanna know can i apply any visa on behalf of her like partner visa or other visa…THANKS

    • 03/01/2018 at 4:59 pm

      If she’s a New Zealander and you are living as a couple, we can apply for NZ dependant visa for you. Give us a call to discuss.

  • 04/01/2018 at 11:07 pm

    my father arrived in Australia from New Zealand in 1992 and is still currently living and working here. I had been to Australia on many holidays from New Zealand between 1996 and 2003 when I moved to Australia for 6months before returning back to New Zealand 2004. I then returned to Australia in 2006 where I met my still current Australian partner who I have 2 children too. We all moved back to new zealand in 2014 and have returned to Australia 2017 to settle. I am unsure of best way for me to become an Australian PR and to change our daughter from New zealand citizen to australian citizen having her father being Australian.

    • 05/01/2018 at 8:31 pm

      a bit complex case and exact dates would matter.
      1 – you – if you’ve been in Australia on a particular date in the past for a defined period of time you might be considered an Eligible New Zealand Citizen.
      2- your daughter – we can handle applying for your daughter’s citizenship and an Australian Passport. Let us know if you need any assistance.

  • 05/01/2018 at 8:16 pm

    Im a nz citizen my partner is from england can she jump on my visa as defacto and still live here in aus? If she can what visa do we apply for?


    • 05/01/2018 at 8:24 pm

      There is a NZ dependant visa – that would be the one I’d assume, but – dependant on the skills and work experience of your partner – maybe you can jump on his/her permanent visa instead 😉

  • 06/01/2018 at 8:20 pm

    We are a couple with NZ citizenship. Husband 57 years, wife 55 years. We moved to Brisbane from NZ in April 2011. We meet all criteria of applying under a new pathway of subclass 444 visa. If we apply for PR now and get the same in a due course, we have a question.
    A question: For age pension, does the requirement of 10 years of residence in Australia cover the period before becoming Australian PR holder/Citizen? Thanks.

    • 07/01/2018 at 2:04 pm

      I’d suggest contacting centrelink.

      • 07/01/2018 at 2:19 pm

        Thanks for your quick reply. Another question, can we include our dependent son who is a full time Uni student? He will complete his 21 years on 23rd Feb, 2018. Should we hurry up to apply for PR before he turns 21? Thanks.

        • 07/01/2018 at 2:58 pm

          21 years is still fine to include him as a dependant for 189 NZ visa (as long as he’s not working).

  • 07/01/2018 at 12:20 am

    The new pathway for NZ citizens who have resided in Australia since feb 2016, does the 5 years of high income have to start with feb 2016 ? Or if they have resided in australia since 2006 but the high income only started in December 2017 would they still be eligible?

    • 07/01/2018 at 2:08 pm

      We don’t know if this 189 NZ stream will not be changed/repelled in the future, but as for now looks like if you have lived in Australia before the cut-off date you may become eligible even in next 4-5 years or so.

      • 07/01/2018 at 9:48 pm

        Thank you

  • 07/01/2018 at 4:09 pm

    Hi there,

    Just wondering this good friend of mine is wanting to stay in Australia with her son who she had to an Australian partner in 2016. (They are no longer together)

    She arrived in Australia more than 10 years ago. (2005) What process should she be taking in becoming a permanent resident. To then eventually become a citizen. She hasn’t worked since January 2016 and has been looking after her son full time.

    She is worried about applying for the wrong type of application as they can be quite expensive. Just wanting to get a clear idea and path to go down in working out the best way for her to become a permanent resident/citizen.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

    • 07/01/2018 at 8:21 pm

      I’m afraid there is no readily available path to permanent residency for her.

  • 08/01/2018 at 12:04 pm

    Hey my names julia. I’ve lived in Australia since feb 2012. Still hold a New Zealand passport. Do I need to change my citizenship to Australian to be able to do de facto with my partner who is Italian or is there a way we can do still with my New Zealand citizen?

    • 09/01/2018 at 10:59 am

      New Zealand family dependant subclass 461 visa would be most appropriate for him by the look of it.

      • 09/01/2018 at 5:38 pm

        But with that does that mean I have to move back to New Zealand or is there a way we can do it on Australia?
        Thank you

        • 10/01/2018 at 10:12 am

          You can do it in Australia. Give us a call to discuss the way forward. We can take care of the visa application for your partner.

  • 08/01/2018 at 8:24 pm

    hi, I moved to Australia since 2013 from NZ.
    I am planing to apply for PR after 2018 financial year.
    ATO records,
    $17,977 – 2014-2015
    $50,058 – 2015-2016
    $61,424 – 2016-2017
    $57,141 – 2017-2018
    2018-2019 will lodge this year,

    will it be good enough to apply for it this year based on the ATO record. ?

    • 09/01/2018 at 10:34 am

      Not enough. Nees to be at least $53900 taxable income over 4 years period of time.

  • 11/01/2018 at 6:48 pm

    I have a New Zealand passport and I been here now for 5 years but I have not been making 34000 a year .i been here in 1999 for 9 moths can I get Australia passport or residency

    • 11/01/2018 at 9:48 pm

      189 NZ stream does not seem to be an option.

    • 11/01/2018 at 10:08 pm

      Oren, you should qualify for a resident return visa if you were in Australia on a New Zealand passport in 1999, which reinstates your permanent residency ( it’s a relatively cheap option too – highly recommend you look into it)

      • 11/01/2018 at 10:41 pm

        Andrew. He’d have to be in Australia for 12 months in the 2 years immediately before 26 February 2001, which is not the case. He wasn’t present in Australia on 26/12/2001 either, unless he might have a “certificate issued under the Social Security Act 1991 stating that they were residing in Australia on a particular date

  • 12/01/2018 at 9:08 am

    We are NZ passport holders, arrived Jan 2000 in Australia, stayed for 7 years, then worked overseas as expats since 2008. Can we now return to Aus as permanent residents and continue normally without hassles? or do we need special visa’s?. Thanks.

    • 12/01/2018 at 2:03 pm

      We’d have to apply for a “special visas” otherwise they’ll give you a SC 444 visa on the airport. Give us a call to discuss

  • 13/01/2018 at 9:55 pm

    I came to australia when i was 4 years old (1979) on my parents passport. I have a new zealand passport and have been in australia since 1979 how do i become an australian citizen?

    • 14/01/2018 at 9:39 pm

      I believe we may apply for a citizenship straight away if you’ve been living in Australia most of the time. We can take care of the paperwork for you – give us a call.

  • 15/01/2018 at 6:50 am

    Hi I came Australia in 2008 with my daughter and husband. My daughter was 1 year old at that time. Me and my daughter holding New Zealand passport while my husband on subclass 461. I couldn’t meet the income requirements as per new pathway. My husband is working in a age care as a recreational activity officer since 2013 so is there any way we can apply for Australian residency.

    • 18/01/2018 at 1:38 pm

      Yes – have a chat with your employer if they’d like to help you. We could apply for ENS or RSMS visa for you. The same for your husband.

  • 16/01/2018 at 3:47 pm

    Hi there. I’ve been living & working in Australia for 15yrs now and would like to reside! I have nz passport and would now like to apply for permanent residence and later citizenship. But i dont even know where to begin. Help!

    • 18/01/2018 at 1:28 pm

      Give us a call or book a consultation – we’ll have a look at your situation and will go through the process with you.

  • 17/01/2018 at 7:36 am

    Can the wife of the new zealand citizen applying for the pr be a holder of a different passport and still apply together with her husband as it was written on australian immigration website that the applicant can include their partners

    • 18/01/2018 at 1:26 pm

      There is such a possibility.

  • 20/01/2018 at 9:55 am

    How can i check if I’m on a 444 Visa? I’m a New Zealander that moved over here 8 years ago, but have gone back home to NZ every year for a week holiday.
    The last one being a few months back.

  • 22/01/2018 at 1:49 pm

    R u sure we need only 4 year 53900 taxable income

    • 25/01/2018 at 4:55 pm

      Challenge me – find a proof you need 5 years.

  • 23/01/2018 at 4:27 pm

    Hi Will a NZ citizen need a medical as well ?

    • 24/01/2018 at 5:18 pm


  • 24/01/2018 at 11:38 am

    My husband has newzealand citizenship he has been australia over 10 years he has 4 year 53900 taxable income bt i heard we need 5 year taxable income my husband has only 4 year can we apply for newzealand stream permanent residence

    • 25/01/2018 at 4:56 pm

      53.9k most recent financial years are required

  • 24/01/2018 at 5:14 pm

    hi im newzealand citizen im living in aus since 2005
    last three years ( 2015 to 2017) i earned more then 54000 and this year (2018)also gonna be more then 54000 you think im eligible for permanent residence in aus

    • 24/01/2018 at 5:15 pm

      you may become eligible in July this year

  • 24/01/2018 at 6:04 pm

    I’m a NZ citizen I’ve been Living in Australia since 2004, I am currently a student at a Sydney university, so despite working two jobs I don’t meet the earning for this permanent Visa, is this my only option to wait until I finish and possibly earn enough?

    • 25/01/2018 at 4:42 pm

      Dependant on your circumstances – 189 “normal stream”, partner visa, ENS/RSMS could be available in the future.

  • 25/01/2018 at 3:41 pm


    I’m an NZ Citizen living in Australia since March 2012 however I have been working in PNG as a FIFO for the past 5 yrs on a 16 on 12 off roster. My income is paid in PNG Kina and exceeds the threshold and I have lodged tax returns with the ATO for the past 5 years.
    Please confirm if I would qualify for residency?

    • 25/01/2018 at 4:39 pm

      Will be a bit tricky, but I believe we might get it sorted for you. Give us a call to discuss.

  • 25/01/2018 at 5:30 pm

    Hi Karol, I moved and live in Australia on November 2014 when I’m 49 from NZ and working in schools under the Government department. I’m on 444 visa and how can I get a PR? My father arrived in Australia from NZ in 1985, become PR in 1989 and married to Australia woman and now he is Australia Citizenship in 2008 and is still currently living and now both parent are pension. I had been to Australia on many holidays from NZ start in 1996 with lots of stamps on old passports. They couldn’t support me on AoS cos Centrelink said they don’t earn enough tax? But he has his own property and assets in Australia. I’ve had contact the two immigrant agent but they give me the wrong visa application example one that I should go thru the IELTS but this is does not match for the Deaf person who unable to listen and speak during their IELTS test. I considering Australia is my home and want to be closer to my parent. Is there a way I can get a PR?

    • 26/01/2018 at 10:08 am

      1. how old you are?
      2. where were you born?
      3. are you deaf, any other health issues?

      • 27/01/2018 at 10:36 am

        I’m 52, born in NZ. Yes I’m Deaf and use sign language fluenty but can speak well. No other health issues.

  • 26/01/2018 at 3:25 pm

    I don’t understand why ,with 189 NZ stream, NZ citizens are required to have arrived before 20 Feb 2016. Is this only the temporary immigration law that is going to expire? NZ citizens arriving in Australia after that date will be consistantly steady in number so what about those people? So, they just have to compete with common applicants for a securing 1 of 44,000 spaces as usual, I mean why? The new pathway should open for all incomimg New Zealanders in future and apply the same rules as they are well over eligible other than this date requirement.

  • 28/01/2018 at 4:04 pm

    Hi! I’ve lived in Australia for 8 years and working full time in Australia Post as a Mail Officer. I’ve been earning above the threshold for the last 4 years. I’m a NZ citizen! I don’t know what visa category I fall under to apply for PR. Can you give me more information regarding visas and application to start the process.


    • 29/01/2018 at 12:15 pm

      Seems you could be eligible for 189 NZ stream visa. We can take care of your application – please give us a call for a discussion about the way forward.

      • 11/02/2018 at 8:42 pm

        Hello I would like to hear back from you
        As my father has been working in Australia for 8 years and I’m pretty sure he meets that income threshold he’s been working in construction ever since and is he available for the pathway to become Australian permanent resident here ? Also I want it for my mother but my mother has never worked she has always been a house wife and would there be any ways I could get them both to become Australian permanent residence here ? They are both New Zealand citizen. Are they both eligible ?
        Also for me I’m 20 I lived in Australia for 8 years now and I’ve only being working for 2 years What can I do to get Australian permanent residency here ?

        • 13/02/2018 at 6:22 am

          There is no way I can make an assessment based on information provided above. Book a consultation, so I’ll ask you few more questions and we’ll find out if there’s a pathway for PR.

  • 29/01/2018 at 12:45 pm

    Hi and thank you for your time in advance.
    1. You have made it clear that it’s best to comply with the requisite of the 4 years of taxable income above the threshold before applying. However, do you know what happens or has happened to applications that don’t comply exactly with this? For example: I had a well over the threshold average over the past 10 years. But I have been an electrician apprentice for the last 4 years so the last 4 years were around $45k but before that they were over because I worked in the mines.
    Does IMMI accept these kind of exceptions, or have you had applications being declined?
    2. My wife is on the 461 family visa at the moment. If I eventually got the PR, would she directly have the PR as well, or would she have to apply as a secondary applicant/ adult dependant through my application?

    • 30/01/2018 at 10:30 pm

      1. Applications which do not comply with requirements are being refused. We do not take any cases where there is no prospect of success, and we do not lodge any applications unless we are happy with the documentation provided by the client.
      2. Your wife would have to be included in the application as a secondary applicant.

  • 29/01/2018 at 6:05 pm

    My partner came to australia with his parents & sibblings in 1986 at age 5, does this mean he is automatically a australian resident/citizen? If so would this of happened automatically?

    • 30/01/2018 at 10:26 pm

      He might be considered “eligible New Zealand citizen” – it’s “kind of” PR status, but not entirely.

  • 30/01/2018 at 8:44 am

    Hi there,

    Thank you in advance for reading and answering my questions!

    I have a number of questions if I may:
    1) We are a family with 2 young children, and we’re expecting our 3rd child on May.
    We’re owners of several small businesses, and both my wife and I are currently receiving shareholder salaries from these establishments. My taxable income is above the required threshold of approx. $54k p.a. but my wife’s is under.
    If we’re planning to move to live in Brisbane later on this year, will we qualify for this new pathway or any way to obtaining PR for the family?

    2) If our youngest is born in AU, will this change anything in terms of the application i.e. will it help us?

    3) My parents are also contemplating of moving with us. Maybe after we’ve settled down.
    They are both over 65 of age.
    Will they be eligible for PR as well? If so, on what grounds?

    Thank you, if you need any info from us please let me know.

    Kind regards,

    • 30/01/2018 at 10:21 pm

      1. Only the main applicant must earn above the threshold.
      2. Not really
      3. Once you’d become a PR, after some time you may be eligible to sponsor them for a parent visa (depends how many siblings have you got and where are they living), but it is quite costly.

  • 03/02/2018 at 11:14 pm

    I have been living in Australia permanently since 2006. I have three kids born in Australia, one is already Australian citizen after her 10th birthday.
    I have income above the threshold, but in 2014 income includes my ABN income as a sole trader (driving school) my personal income no employees. Do I qualify for this NZ steam visa. All income years are above the threshold. I would love to discuss this further.

    • 08/02/2018 at 9:33 pm

      Seems good to go. Please book a consultation if you’d like to discuss.

  • 05/02/2018 at 11:39 am

    Hi I just want to know we are NZ citizen living in Australia. My wife is nz citizen and I am nz PR holder.
    if child born in Aus and age of 10 is parents will also get Aus residency same time with children? please confirm.

    • 08/02/2018 at 9:29 pm


  • 12/02/2018 at 9:26 pm

    Hi there
    We arrived June 31 2016, my husband and I both work and each earn between $77-$85k per year 2016 and wondering if we can apply for permanent resident in Australia and when. From reading the visa requirements it looks like we don’t qualify especially when we are aged 48 and 57. Is there any other way for us to apply. Australia is our home and we both are Nz citizens. What are our options please. We are really keen to become PR and eventually aim to become australia. Citizens. We ave two children and an elderly father.

    • 13/02/2018 at 6:14 am

      ASk your employer if they’d sponsor you for an ENS/RSMS visa

  • 14/02/2018 at 2:12 am

    Hey mate

    Been in Australia since 07(frmNZ) been working 8+ years easily ticking over $54000+ for the pass 5years. Just married and my wife being from overseas(notNZ) have applied for a 461family visa and currently on a bridging visa which is great because it keeps my wife here in Australia while waiting for approval (been waiting 7months for approval) now with a baby on the way we’ll have to wait till the baby arrives so it’s on our PR application my question is my parents being nz citizens both live in Australia since 2011 can I put them down on our application? Mum is on disability pension from NZ (was working kidney failure in 2013 now on dialysis) Dad 63 not working looking after mum.

    • 15/02/2018 at 7:24 am

      Parents are not considered as dependants for 189 visa

  • 14/02/2018 at 7:59 am

    Hey mate…

    Been in Australia since 07(frmNZ). Working easily ticking $54000+ a year for the last 5years. Just married and the wife being frm overseas(notNZ) we applied for a 461family visa and shes currently on a bridging visa waiting for approval. We have a baby on
    the way so won’t start our PR application till the baby arrives, my question is will they except my parents on the application? Both Nz citizens both were working until mum had kidney failure in 2013 now Dad looking after her and both getting pension frm NZ .

    • 14/02/2018 at 10:04 am

      Parents are not considered as members of family unit for 189 visa.

      • 14/02/2018 at 12:37 pm

        So would I do our PR application then sponsor my parents??

        • 15/02/2018 at 7:18 am

          Such a possibility may exist

      • 14/02/2018 at 1:05 pm

        Can my brother being Aus citizen and perm resident sponsor me?

        • 15/02/2018 at 7:18 am

          Your brother can’t be a citizen and permanent resident at the same time.

  • 15/02/2018 at 1:12 pm

    Dear Sir,
    I Arrived in Australia in June 2014, was working full time and earned above the threshold TSMIT from last 3 years , i ended up in a work place accident and got injured in Nov 2016 and unfit for work till Now, at the moment on workers compensation benefits and treatment.. am i still able to apply for Australian PR visa.

  • 16/02/2018 at 1:44 pm

    I settled Australia on October 2017. Can I get PR after 5 years from the new pathway? or Did I need to arrive in 2016 ?

    • 19/02/2018 at 10:25 pm

      To be eligible for 189 NZ stream you must have arrived before a specified date. So simple answer would be – no, sorry.

  • 16/02/2018 at 7:56 pm

    I found this question on website under 189 NZ stream FAQ’s, what does that mean? Does that apply to sole trader ABN income as well or just the company income?
    Read below:
    {Can I use my business income to meet the income requirement?
    It is not possible to use business income to meet the income requirement of the Skilled Independent 189 (New Zealand) stream, as this visa seeks to recognise an individual’s personal economic contributions by New Zealander’s to the Australian economy.}

  • 22/02/2018 at 9:32 am


    I have been working in Aus for the past 5 years, started on 07/02/13 – current and started on a salary of 75K + super and now on around 88K + Super. However I work from a non profit organisation and we salary sacrifice through Accesspay which is a ATO fringe benefit. Based on this I do not pay tax on my full salary so my taxable income is reduced because of this to about 45-55K, varies for the past 4 financial years. How does this affect me, is this grounds for an exception. For one year my taxable income is less than the required threshold.

    • 23/02/2018 at 9:32 pm

      Department is assessing taxable income

  • 22/02/2018 at 12:24 pm


    I am NZ citizen and settled in Australia since 2007. But my income is below the $53900. Can I apply for 189 NZ stream in future, if I do some extra job and and earn minimum $53900 in future after 5 years??

    • 23/02/2018 at 9:29 pm

      Such a possibility does exist

  • 24/02/2018 at 10:05 pm

    I’m a NZ citizen. I’ve been living in Australia since August 2004, married an Australian citizen since 2006, been caring for our children and not working from 2010 to present. I’m looking at studying and working for department of education but know restrictions on this since I’m not a permanent resident of Australia. Is my best way of obtaining PR through 820/801? But can I go straight to 801 since already eligible to work here therefore not needing the 820 visa? Thanks

    • 26/02/2018 at 10:44 pm

      You do apply for 820 and 801 the same time. It’s up to the case officer if 801 would be granted at the same time as 820, but in your situation – very likely, yes.

  • 02/03/2018 at 4:04 pm

    Hi, Im from NZ lived in OZ from 1984-89 and from 1993-95. I live overseas and have a young child with Australian citizenship and want to move back to OZ for work. I all into skilled category and I will earn over $53,900 until I retire but I am aged 50+. Is there any path I can take for citizenship? Thanks.

    • 03/03/2018 at 8:13 am

      You might be considered an Eligible NZ Citizen already. Such a person might be eligible for citizenship. Please book a consultation if you’d like to discuss.

  • 02/03/2018 at 4:45 pm

    Hi There
    I am a NZ citizen with wife and two children and arrived in Australia March 2011 and was working for a while. From June 2012 my wife and me own and running a small retail business as solo trader (partnership), but business running on loss. We have little rental income and own a house. I am wondering under this circumstances do we able to apply under 189 subclass or do we do we qualify section under 188A subclass? Turn over 200,000 to 300,000 pa, asset: 900,000. live in Victoria.
    Thanking you advance. Regards

    • 03/03/2018 at 8:11 am

      To qualify for PR under 888 you’d also have to employ locals – please book a consultation if you’d like to explore this option.
      For 189 NZ stream your personal income matters and it must be over the threshold.

  • 03/03/2018 at 1:09 pm

    Hi, I’m a 26 year old kiwi, been living in Australia for 11 years, never earned over the income threshold. Completed all my schooling here. My occupation is not on the MLTSSL for the 189 visa. What are my options for PR?

  • 09/03/2018 at 8:29 pm

    I am New Zealand citizen living here since 2006 with full-time job since 2006
    I applied for PR under subclass189 NZ stream last July but my taxable income for 2014-15 is $46000 due to negative gearing
    Rest all looks good as per their requirement
    Can u help me or suggest me how to proceed

    • 10/03/2018 at 5:55 pm

      You already applied, so not much you can do. It might be refused because you did not earn enough.

  • 11/03/2018 at 6:55 pm

    Hi there,

    My boyfriend is NZ and meets the criteria. He has applied for the 189 Visa.
    I’m his de facto dependent, Brazilian and with a criminal record – drink driving middle PCA, first offense. Are there any extra documents I should provide apart from the police records, and form 80? Would that be a problem? Many thanks!

    • 14/03/2018 at 10:22 am

      I’d suggest providing with additional evidence up front that it was one off and you are a nice girl now (if that is the case). Don’t undermine it – your visa could be refused, and his visa as well under the rule “one fails, all fail”

  • 13/03/2018 at 11:18 am

    I want to apply for the new pathway visa and I have already got my 2014.2015.2016.2017 notice of assessment and waiting for the fifth one this coming julay . Should I just wait or can I apply with the 4 that I have and by the time I get the fifth one i send it to them ?
    Please help as I have heard the the low my change in julay

    • 14/03/2018 at 9:51 am

      4 assessments should be ok.

  • 18/03/2018 at 11:12 am

    I am newzleand citizen and currently living in Australia since 2012. I read the income policy as my income is getting increase by $53000 since 2016 but it was less in 2015 and I got $53000 in 2014 and Does the income policy requires the continue period of year or can I show them individual year where my income was higher than $53000.

    • 18/03/2018 at 7:35 pm

      Every year must be above threshold

  • 20/03/2018 at 7:03 pm

    Hi, me (on 461 visa) and my wife (NZ citizen) are living in AUS since 2011. My yearly income for last 5 years is over $54,000 but My wife earned less than A$54,000 for last 3 years due to maternity and primary carer duty since we had a child. Is there any way that we can apply for PR ?? Thanks in advance.

    • 21/03/2018 at 9:55 pm

      Income of one person over the threshold is enough.

      • 22/03/2018 at 2:00 pm

        HI Nowak, Thank you for the response. Just to be clear, I am not NZ citizen but my wife is. I earned more than $54000 but not my wife. In this case my wife will be a primary applicant I guess and me as secondary being the husband of primary applicant who is NZ citizen. Can we still apply?
        Many thanks.

        • 31/03/2018 at 9:44 am


  • 25/03/2018 at 12:46 am

    Hi Karol,
    Re: 189 Visa for New Zealand Citizens
    My information: We are naturalised New Zealand citizens. I intend to apply as the main applicant for the 189 NZ visa. My husband is not currently here in Australia. He has been overseas for a couple of years now. My son is 22 years old full time uni student doing double degree, working part time. I will not include him in my application. I will include my son in my application.
    I would appreciate if you could respond to my queries as follows:-
    (1) Form 47a Details of child or other dependent member family member aged 18 years or over
    Page 8, Part F Signatures item 31 – signature of the main visa applicant’s spouse or de facto partner.
    Question: What are the options to enable me to sign on behalf of my husband. He is currently overseas. I also wish to inform that he will not be included in my application.
    (2) My husband has been overseas for couple of years now. I will not include him in my 189 NZ visa application.
    Question 1: Would he be required to complete an application for migration? If so, what is the form number.
    Regarding character and health requirements for my husband.
    Question 2: Again this question is for my husband who overseas and will not be included in my application. Does he have to comply with the character and health requirements? If yes, what are the options to waive the character and health requirements. He is currently overseas. I will not include him in my visa application.
    Thank you.

    • 31/03/2018 at 9:43 am

      You can exclude your husband from the application.

Comments are closed.