457 to PR 2019

457 to PR Australia. How To Convert your 457 to Australian Permanent Residency in 2019

Do You want to convert your 457 visa to PR?

There are 6 Options to convert 457 to PR in 2019

  • Through Employer Nomination Scheme temporary residence transition stream (ENS or RSMS visa) (457 to 186 visa or 457 to 187 visa)
  • Through Employer Nomination Scheme direct entry stream (ENS or RSMS visa)
  • Through Skilled Migration (points based skilled visas – 189, 190, 489)
  • Applying for a partner visa as a spouse of an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Applying for a visa based on your partner’s skills, qualifications, and work experience
  • Applying for a business visa

Let’s say:

  • You are working on a 457 visa and have been living in Australia for a long time now.
  • Your employer is willing to help with getting your 457 visa converted to PR
  • You found that being a permanent resident of Australia would be a great advantage because this country is a great place to live with your loved one’s for the rest of your days.
  • Although you came to Australia as a single person you found your love here and now you’d like to stay with your partner in Australia permanently.

you might be on a good way to convert 457 to permanent residency.

457 to pr new rules 2019

It has been confirmed that from March 2018, people who were existing subclass 457 visa holders or have applied for their 457 visa before April revolution will still have access to an employer-sponsored pathway to permanent residency (transition stream).

Provisional arrangements (grandfathering provisions) will be very similar to existing ones, which means 2 years with the same employer on 457 visa and competent English should be the main criteria for an ENS or RSMS visa grant under transition stream. Age limit will be 49 years as opposed to 44 for direct entry stream.

What does it mean in reality? Essentially, people who for various reasons are not able to get their skills assessed by the relevant skills assessment authority, cannot apply for direct entry stream of an ENS visa, but may still be eligible for a transition stream of ENS or RSMS visa under the old rules. MO info in the next chapter.

457 to PR after March 2018 – grandfathering provisions

The door for permanent residency would have been closed for them if the grandfathering provisions would not have been introduced. It is still works in progress regarding TRT transitional caseloads as the law is still drafted, but it seems government is on the right track.

Lists of occupations are not relevant for transition stream of employer-sponsored permanent visas. It’s gonna be the same from March 2018. Please remember these transitional provisions are only for those 457 visa holders who had their visas granted before 19th April 2017.

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS/RSMS) (457 to 186) as a pathway to PR

This is the most common option people who are a holder of a temporary 457 visa and wish to stay and live in Australia as a Permanent Resident are using. After two (2) years on a 457 working visa, people seem to naturally consider applying for ENS/RSMS visa.


Follow us on facebook if you like it here, so you’ll be first to know about updates on the page.

 What are the basic requirements to pursue 457 to 186 (457 to ENS):

  1. Your employer has fulfilled all the commitments as a 457 visa sponsor for the last 2 years;
  2. You have been working in the same position with the same employer for last 2 years (exemptions may apply)
  3. You sat an English test and obtained required score (if you are a passport holder of the UK, USA or Ireland, you don’t have to sit the test – department of immigration believes you can speak English on required level)
  4. You haven’t been naughty – your and your family’s police records are clear.
  5. You are set to pay few thousand dollars for your visa processing to the Department of Immigration (it will be a higher amount for ones with spouse or children). It’s not cheap, unfortunately.

It happens, that people on 457 visa lose their jobs for different reasons. This is a serious concern especially when the economy slacks off. However, if you would already be a permanent residency visa holder, you would not have to rely so much on keeping your job with your present employer. Therefore as sooner you’d apply for PR as better. For some, it might be a surprise that you don’t have to wait for 2 years to apply for ENS/RSMS visa. Your employer may sponsor you earlier. It’s a bit harder as your skills will have to be assessed by an independent body and English requirement is higher than with a 457 to PR transition stream, but – you don’t have to wait for 2 years.

ENS/RSMS Process

457 to pr 2018 boy on a swing

ENS and RSMS visa process is quite similar to 457 – there is a nomination and a visa application.

Please note – RSMS is only applicable for employers coming from Regional Australia (Regional Australia is described in the migration regulations – there is a list of postcodes of the areas which are eligible for this visa).

Employers are required to present the company profile and its financial status as a basic component of this procedure. They should also show compliance with training benchmark measures and specifications to be able to nominate a candidate. It means they would have to spend to date either:

  1. Not less than 1% of payroll on training Australian employees (NOT 457 visa holders), or
  2. Donate 2% of payroll to an Industry Training Fund

Proof of above is mandatory, otherwise converting your 457 visa to Permanent Residency might be in jeopardy. It is always best to seek assistance from a Migration Agent for information when in doubt to tackle this tricky part of the process.

457 to PR transition stream requirements

  • Working for a certain employer for at least two (2) years in Australia on a subclass 457 visa is necessary.
  • Skills assessment is not necessary
  • English language proficiency requirement is lower
  • Medical and character examinations are required
  • If you have changed your employer in the past, your 2 years period might be started over. So better check if you are really eligible for this stream.

457 to PR direct entry stream requirements

You might be surprised but for ENS / RSMS direct entry stream there is no need for having a 457 visa to be qualified, you may apply for ENS / RSMS under this stream straight away. If you’ll be able to get your skills assessed by a certifying body and have 3 years of work experience related to your profession you might be eligible for ENS visa under Direct Entry Stream.

  • Your English skills must be assessed on a particular level (IELTS 6 or comparable).
  • Character and medical checks still need to be performed as part of the requirements.
  • There is no need for you to wait for two (2) years to be on a 457 visa to go through Direct Entry Stream.

Requirements for Direct entry are tougher than for transition stream, and for some individuals who are not able to pass Skills Assessment, and those who are unable to get through IELTS 6, the two (2) years on 457 Visa for a transition stream looks to be their best option.

Keep in mind it takes, at least, a couple of months for the department of immigration to assess your visa application and make a decision. 6 months is usual processing time for ENS visa.

Skilled Migration (GSM visas – 189, 190, 489) as a pathway to PR (457 to 189, 457 to 190, 457 to 489)

457 to pr 2018 various workers

Skilled Migration (GSM visas – 189, 190, 489) is also one option for converting your 457 visa to PR. There is no need for an employer to avail this visa. It is a points-tested application. Points are considered from your level of education, age, years worked, English ability, etc. Initially, your skill and profession must be highly needed in Australia and is listed on relevant skilled occupation list. You will be half-way through if your occupation is currently on the list. Your skills will have to be evaluated by a certified body. Interesting is that you are not applying to get a visa right away, but first, you’ll have to submit for an EOI (Expression of Interest). You will have to get a score of at least 60 points for Expression of Interest lodgment. If Department of Immigration will find your EOI content interesting and your nominated occupation is still below their current ceiling for a current financial year, they’ll invite you to apply for a visa. You’ll have 2 months to provide all the necessary documents, so better have everything ready before lodging an EOI. Department of Immigration chooses, in their good judgment, individuals who in their opinion possess the exceptional skills which will benefit the Australian economy. Those who get the high scores warrant invitation for visa application in the first place. State Nomination may be the option to speed up the processing and advance your application if your points are short.

Partner Migration as a pathway to PR (457 to 820)

Partner Visa, is a commonly used option for converting 457 to PR, even for individuals with expired visas, who are in a relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident. If you are a decent 457 visa holder and you have an Australian partner you love so much and your relationship could be proven as genuine and on-going, you can certainly submit your application based on that condition. You don’t even need to get married to qualify for a Partner visa. De facto and same-sex relationships for at least twelve (12) months and longer could be eligible and qualify for a partner visa (at times being less than twelve (12) months in the relationship is sufficient). Partner visa normally is granted for three (3) years. After about two (2) years the Department of Immigration will check if you’re still a couple in a genuine relationship. They will request you to provide with some information to establish if permanent residence could be granted.

457 to pr English requirement

For ENS and RSMS visa English requirement has been set on a level of competent, which is equivalent to IELTS 6 in each component of the test (more info about the meaning of competent here). Apart from IELTS visa applicants can take PTE, TOEFL or CAE test. Passport holders of UK, Ireland, Canada, USA and New Zealand don’t have to sit an English test at all, even if they don’t speak English at all. Not so long ago IELTS 5 was enough for a transition stream, but it has been raised to 6 a few months ago. The only English language exemption is for RSMS transition stream if you have studied in English for at least 5 years.

For points-based Skilled visas competent English (IELTS 6) is the absolute minimum.

For partner visa, English competency does not matter at all. You can get a partner visa without an English test.

457 to pr processing time

There is no easy answer how long may it take to get a PR while on a 457 visa. the factors which are taken into consideration by a department are:

  • what kind of PR visa are you applying for
  • what is your occupation
  • have all the required documents been uploaded to the application (is the application “decision ready”)
  • what is a country of your passport
  • what is your immigration history

Average processing times for various visas are available on a department’s site.

Changes to 457 visa programme

You might be wondering if there were any changes or updates to the rules on converting 457 to PR in 2019? Not yet, but changes are definitely coming. Over the years, 457 visa programme saw many changes and adjustments. Conducted in the year 2015 457 visa programme review introduced some significant changes to the program, but it looks it did not make everybody happy. A debate about changes is continuing and more alterations could be seen coming. Surprisingly it is a political debate because some individuals do not want overseas workforce coming to Australia whereas the others believe that without skilled overseas workers coming, Australian economy may suffer.

The easiest way to ensure you’d be eligible for a permanent residence is to speak with a Migration Agent. Let us know about your case o we can assist, call us at (07) 3668 0658 and we will assess your case and let you know what’s the best way for you to get a PR granted.

No matter if you decide to sort your visa status by yourself or allow us to do the rest of the hard paperwork for you, feel free to continue reading this article as we will uncover some mysteries about converting 457 to PR.

Above is just a summary of what you need to know and consider if you are a 457 working visa holder willing to apply for permanent residency. For more information, you can always call us at (07) 3668 0658 or book a consultation online for an appointment. Rest assured, we will do the job for you and counsel you about the options that would be the most appropriate in your situation.

171 thoughts on “457 to PR 2019

  • 20/02/2016 at 2:26 am

    Common misconception about 457 visa, most people think it is automatically converted to permanent residence after two years, which in fact is not correct.

    • 21/02/2018 at 11:06 am

      Ho sir. I have been granted 457 visa on feb 15 as cook for 2 years. Can i apply for pr ? Will i fall under old or new rules?

      • 21/02/2018 at 11:33 am

        Feb 2018 I’m assuming? New rules.

  • 21/02/2016 at 6:08 pm

    How does the Department of Immigration contact the couple to verify if they are still together after about two years? Do they really proactively offer the option to apply for permanent residency?

    • 14/03/2016 at 7:45 pm

      When you apply for 820 you are also applying for 801. Two years after a date of 820 application lodgement, you will become eligible for 801 application lodgment. Case officer from the Department of Immigration will send you an e-mail that the time for you 801 visa application lodgement is coming. You will have to provide with similar documents for 801 as for 820.

  • 27/03/2016 at 4:57 pm

    Excellent opportunity.

  • 10/04/2016 at 3:33 am

    When I submit EOI for PR then should I use the EOI created for 457 visa or do I have to create a new one.?

    • 10/04/2016 at 12:57 pm

      EOI is being used only for GSM visas (189, 190, 489). You may have submitted one some time ago to lure potential employers, but if you want to apply for GSM visa now, make sure there is all the relevant information for a particular visa you are applying for at the moment.

  • 03/09/2016 at 10:47 am

    Hi… We are on 457 visa from 3 years in 3 years we changed 2 sponsor in first my wife worked with them for 6 months and 2nd she worked for 2 years after completing 2 years company has shut down so I want to know we can apply for pr our self she got in iltes 6 and each and she got overseas exp of 6 years plz guide us thanks ,,,,,syed

    • 28/12/2016 at 2:02 pm

      Full assessment of your case would be required to check if you’d be eligible for 190 or 189 visa.

  • 16/10/2016 at 7:48 am

    Hello there
    You have a very good article that helps us understand pathways to PR. Its not easy.
    I am a 457 worker in Charleville QLD.
    Please let me know What should I do if I have worked 3.5 years for the same employer and now he does not want to sponsor me for my application for PR? During work process the Foreman bullied me alot and he reported to the Director I am not good…
    What should I do???
    Thank you so much.

    • 28/12/2016 at 1:45 pm

      1. Check if you’d be able to apply for PR under GSM (General Skilled Migration – 189 / 190 visa)
      2. Find a different employer who’d be willing to sponsor you for a visa

  • 18/10/2016 at 12:14 pm

    I am now in 457 visa I have completed 3 yrs in australia as a cook with two different employers , I have 6 each in ielts , can I apply for 457 direct entry individually, but I cannot understand I should go which type of skill test as a cook.? please give me the information. Thanks

    • 28/12/2016 at 1:43 pm

      TRA is a body responsible for assessment of Cook (351411).

  • 06/11/2016 at 5:18 pm

    If after 2 years of employment on 457 visa, the nominated occupation is removed from CSOL then can i apply for ENS through a closely matching occupation?

  • 23/11/2016 at 12:48 am

    Hi there I just have a question I am at 457 Visa my two years completing soon so I have a plan to apply PR .My Partner and my son they are here with me at 457 Visa as well . I have discussed with immigration lawyer and he said my partner also required IELTS 4.5 score for PR application . Is that true?my wife has done bachelor in Commerce Subjects does it help to get waved of IELTS restriction thanks Dear for your kindness ,

    • 28/12/2016 at 1:31 pm

      Apart from language test the other ways to satisfy department of immigration that a person’s language ability is on a “functional: level are:
      – You are the holder of a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country.
      – A positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English.
      – Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
      – Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.
      – Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English.
      – Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English.

      • 05/09/2017 at 4:44 pm

        Hello sir/madam,
        I am on 457 visa and and applying for ENS. I have finished my Postgraduation in Australia(2years) & Bacherlors of Business Administration (3 years) in India in English . I been told that I don’t need 6 each in ielts if I have finished my degrees in English for 5 years or more.
        Can you please help me I am so confused now. .?

        Thank you very much in advance.

        • 27/09/2017 at 9:44 am

          Such an option could be taken into consideration by a case officer in certain circumstances. I’d have to check your case to make sure.

  • 29/12/2016 at 6:29 pm

    Can you please tell me after 2 years 457 visa how many ielts score need to apply pr?

    • 29/12/2016 at 9:06 pm

      at least 5 in each component of IELTS test for Transition Stream.

  • 25/01/2017 at 2:45 am

    My 457 Visa is expired and currently am working in India.

    Earlier I worked in melbourne till last year i.e 2016 and had experience letter from the employer for 2 years period ie from January 2014 to March 2016.

    In order to apply for Streamline pathway to Victorian state nomination for current or recent subcalss 457 , i came to know that a confirmation of employment letter is required as attached in the email.

    Firstly please let me know if i am eligible through streamline pathway and if i am eligible
    Can you please let me know, While filling the attachment document do i need to take the Primary Applicant confirmation and secondary applicant confirmation from my current employer in India?

    • 25/01/2017 at 7:59 pm

      Sorry. This question is not clear to me. I might be able to assist if I’d know what’s in that email you’ve received. Please contact us if you’d like us to follow up.

  • 02/02/2017 at 4:16 am

    I used to hold 457 visa and My 457 Visa is expired in year 2016 and currently am working in India.
    I worked in melbourne for 2 years till 2016 am i eligible to apply through Streamline pathway to Victorian state nomination (current or recent subcalss 457)?

    • 05/12/2017 at 10:21 am

      to be eligible for 457 you must have a sponsor.

  • 24/02/2017 at 7:00 am

    I am working on 457 visa as an analyst programmer from last two years. Now my employer does not sponsor its employees for PR. Is there any other way to get PR other than point test.

    • 05/12/2017 at 10:21 am

      find another employer, who will sponsor

  • 24/02/2017 at 10:53 am

    Is there any impact on processing time if my 457 visa is valid for few more months. I mean, does the department wait for 457 expiry, before issuing PR.

    • 05/12/2017 at 10:20 am

      Expiry date of your 457 does not impact timeframe for PR approval

  • 18/04/2017 at 5:56 pm

    I got a 457 visa granted in june 2016, but only for 2 years (?). Now, with the 457visa abolition, is there a way to extend my current visa to go 4 years in total, or will I have to apply for the new versions (short-term or med-term) when mines gets to its end?


    • 17/08/2017 at 12:12 pm

      You’ll have to apply for a new visa with new rules. Whether you’ll get it for 2 or 4 years depends on your occupation. I’d suggest applying for PR as long as you can. From 01/03/2018 you may no longer be eligible.

  • 21/04/2017 at 9:59 pm

    Hi Iam on 457 visa about to lodge 186 visa in August
    Actually will finish 2 years on may 11 but in between I have applied for renewal of my 457 visa.
    First I have got the visa for 1 year bcoz of the new employer then I got it for 4 more years.
    When I got my 457 visa 2nd time I was bridging visa for 3 months and later I got approved on 2nd August.
    So I’m waiting till August to lodge my ENS.
    Still do I need 6.0 IELTS if I apply after 1st July as per new rules?
    Or as per Grandfathering clause it should be same old rule of IELTS 5.0 each.
    Please let me know thank you.

    • 17/08/2017 at 12:10 pm

      6.0 in each component is required. There might be an exemption available for a transitions stream if you’d have studied at least 5 years in English before.

  • 22/04/2017 at 11:41 pm

    excuse me i have 457 more than 2 years and i want to convert my visa to pr , also my ielts test is for more than 3 years ego but i got 6 each for skill.
    just id like to noe i need new ielts test ?

    • 17/08/2017 at 12:09 pm

      New english test is required.

  • 04/05/2017 at 5:10 pm

    I got 2 year 457 visa which comes under the latest rule of April ,2017.i am a registered nurse in australia.i would like to know whether I can apply for Visa 190 or 189

    • 17/08/2017 at 12:08 pm

      If you’ll be able to gather enough points, very likely – yes

  • 21/08/2017 at 11:01 am

    I have been working in Adelaide for last five and half years with the same employer on 457 visa as Management Accountant. My current visa will be expired after one year (Oct. 2018) and my employer is happy to renew the same visa but due to some company policy doesn’t want to sponsor for PR. But this time i want to go for PR myself and have some questions:-

    1) Which visa best suits to me to convert 457 to PR if it is not employer sponsored?
    2) Do i still need to go for an English test as i have been working here in management position for more than 5 years? And all of my schooling, uni and professional qualifications were in English.

    If you need any more info please contact me via e-mail.


    • 21/08/2017 at 11:48 am

      If your employer is not willing to sponsor you for a permanent visa you may consider applying for a skilled visa (189, 190 or 489).
      English test is necessary. An equivalent of “competent English” (IELTS 6) is a must at the moment for skills based permanent visas.

  • 21/08/2017 at 11:54 am

    Thanks karol for your quick reply and can you please also advise which process/processes I can skip if my employer is ok to sponsor me.

  • 21/09/2017 at 10:56 am

    Aside from taking IELTS, using Medium of Instruction is English (MIE) still applicable in applying for PR?
    Would you please let me know.
    Thank you so much!

    • 27/09/2017 at 9:25 am

      Could be in some circumstances

      • 28/09/2017 at 9:56 pm

        Could that mean it will be possible to use MIE?

      • 09/02/2018 at 12:02 pm

        Hi ,
        I am sponsored on subclass 457 as a general accountant, i complete 2 years in April 2018. is there a way i can apply for my PR living outside Australia after April 2018? I have 7 each in PTE and 25 years of Age.

        • 09/02/2018 at 12:11 pm

          In theory – yes, if you’d be able to get enough points and get an invitation for a 189/190/489.

          • 09/02/2018 at 12:27 pm

            what i meant was is there a way i can apply for visa subclass 186 ​with Temporary Residence Transition stream from outside Australia?

  • 05/10/2017 at 3:34 pm

    I hope you could give me more accurate answer.
    Thank you.

  • 22/10/2017 at 2:04 pm

    Hello, I’ve got a question. I’m currently on 457 visa, however my employer is not willing to sponsor 186 visa for me. I’ve found a different employer in a regional area who’s willing to apply for 187 RSMS visa (unfortunately, they can’t transfer 457 visa, however). So what is going to happen next? Can my new employer lodge 187 RSMS visa while I’m on 457 with the different employer?Looking forward hearing from you

    • 05/12/2017 at 10:19 am

      yes they can, but you will not be able to work for them until your RSMS would be granted

  • 25/11/2017 at 1:18 am

    I’m a 457 visa and want to apply for PR next yr 2018. I’ve already my IELTS result and got a 5.5 overall..unforunately I got 4.5 in one section and the rest from above 5. Would this be ok? There’s no problem for my score?

    • 03/12/2017 at 7:18 am

      You must have all 6’s in IELTS for PR.

  • 03/01/2018 at 6:08 pm

    Hi I am on 457 visa granted on 27th April 2017 but I had lodged my application few months prior to this. I was nominated as General practitioner by my hospital but in reality I am working as Career Medical Officer in a hospital (not as a GP) and I have conditional registration with AHPRA. My employer does not sponsor for PR
    What are my options for converting into PR status
    Thank you in advance

  • 04/01/2018 at 4:22 pm

    Hi, I am on 457 visa allotted on Oct 2016, and working with the same employer till date now after the rules changes for 186 so can i be eligible for PR through pathway of temporary residence transition employer after march 2018 or i can apply through the pathway of direct entry before march 2018???
    My profession is baker .
    Thanks , waiting for your advice

    • 04/01/2018 at 5:50 pm

      You may go ahead with direct entry if you have skills assessment done. If no skills assessment available yet – it takes 3 months to get it from TRA, so transition stream will be your option if proposed changes will come into effect.

  • 07/01/2018 at 8:11 pm

    Hi, this is my second year on my four year 457 visa.
    In connection with the 457 visa grandfathering rule.,do I still need to sit for an English test?

    • 07/01/2018 at 8:17 pm

      If your question is about applying for permanent visa – answer would be yes, unless you have a passport of exempt country

  • 08/01/2018 at 12:11 pm

    I’m holding 457 visa and my 2 years complete on February 1 st week can I apply ENS visa or After march still I’m eligible for PR?

    • 09/01/2018 at 10:58 am

      Seems like you will fulfill work requirements for transition stream. Question remains about your employer willingness to assist and your level of English.

      • 10/01/2018 at 2:21 pm

        Thank you very much for reply my question. I have one more question about when my 457 visa granted that time I got English language exemption because of I studied 5 years in English medium.
        how about if I apply for 457 visa to ENS visa I need to provide English score 6.0 each module or I can get English language exemption.?
        I am waiting for your reply.
        Than you

        • 10/01/2018 at 9:52 pm

          There is no exemption for ENS visa available at the moment.

  • 10/01/2018 at 3:17 pm

    Is 5.5 would be alright for rsms?
    Is the exemption provision on Medium of Instruction English (MIE) wil not be in effect?.

    • 10/01/2018 at 9:51 pm

      MIE may apply only for transition stream of RSMS visa. 5.5 is not enough.

  • 10/01/2018 at 5:48 pm

    I’ve been working on 457 for about 1 year and I’ve got one more year to apply for PR especially on February 2019 will be two years. My question is can I apply before as my sponsor willing to do so, and how much is required English test on PTE? Thanks.

    • 10/01/2018 at 9:50 pm

      We can assist applying right now, you might not need to wait. There are additional requirements, but we can check if you’d satisfy. IELTS 6 or PTE 50 is required (each component of the test).

  • 14/01/2018 at 11:48 am

    Hi, I am on a 457 visa, it will be my 3rd year this coming February 2018 and i would like to apply for a permanent residency even w/0 my employer sponsorship. I am currently turning 44years old this coming Nov.19 and i am just woried about my age that’s why I am prompted tonapply for a Pr. I would like to seek help from you.. Maybe you can tell me what’s the best option for me and btw, my visa will expire next yr jan6, 2019. Thanknyou.

    • 14/01/2018 at 9:37 pm

      Hi Rowe
      Dependant on your occupation you might be eligible for skilled independent or nominated visa. Give us a call to discuss your options.

  • 15/01/2018 at 9:59 am

    how about the occupation list change in March 2018 or same current occupation list?

    • 18/01/2018 at 1:37 pm

      Occupation list has just been updated 17/01/2018. Which list does apply depends on the type of visa and the time when the application has been lodged.

    • 19/01/2018 at 9:06 pm

      how much IELTS score require for secondary applicant ,immigration consider overall score or each band score ?

      • 20/01/2018 at 11:42 am

        4.5 overall.

  • 15/01/2018 at 1:34 pm

    Hi,i applied for ENS in 18th march 2017…how long it takes to approve thank you.

    • 18/01/2018 at 1:36 pm

      I love your confidence that a visa will be approved 😉
      Current average waiting times are available on department’s website. From my experience, time for a decision from a visa lodgement could take from few months to almost 2 years. There is a lot of different factors Department is taking into consideration. Completeness of the application is one of the factors. You may book a consultation if you’d like to discuss your situation further.

  • 15/01/2018 at 5:35 pm

    Hi,I work with my employer more then 2 years but I get my 457 visa may 2017,when I can apply for PR.i have UK pas,thanks

    • 18/01/2018 at 1:33 pm

      It all depends on your occupation and work experience. A full assessment is required. Please book a consultation so we’ll check the options available to you.

  • 16/01/2018 at 12:29 am

    I am working as a registered nurse almost two years. I am currently on 457 and my 457 visa granted on 4/04/2016. I have completed 5 years study here in Australia. I have got skill assessment on the basis on 5 years study. Could you please provide me information if I need any English requirements? Thank you!!

    • 18/01/2018 at 1:31 pm

      It depends on which visa we’d apply for. If transition stream employer-sponsored visa there could be an English exemption available.

  • 17/01/2018 at 10:22 am

    Hi. We were granted 457 visa June 2015 and changed employer March 2016. Are we still eligible to apply PR through transition stream after March 2018? Passed competent rating in PTE as well. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

    • 18/01/2018 at 1:26 pm

      If the grandfathering provisions will be introduced 01/03/2018 as advised earlier by the government – yes.

  • 17/01/2018 at 11:32 pm

    Hi sir
    Im existing 457 holder last aug 2016 and my 2 years here on Aug 2018. I just wanna know if the ruling are the same as a old rule? My ielts is only 5. Do i need to take again ielts for applying pr? Can you please give me advise what is best option.thank you so much

    • 18/01/2018 at 1:24 pm

      Unless you have studied for at least 5 years where all the subjects were delivered in English you’ll have to pass IELTS 6 in each component for transition stream PR visa.

  • 19/01/2018 at 6:24 am

    What would you suggest is it better to apply for a pr under skilled visa 189 from my home country as i am about to get visa 457 through my sponsor for melbourne. Or it is better to apply for the pr once i am in australia working on a 457 visa. I was in hurry as i am 32 yrs right now will turn 33 on april 13 2018 so not to loose my 5 point wanted to apply for point . Plz guide me awaiting your revet thanks.

    • 19/01/2018 at 9:00 pm

      Sorry, but with given information, there is no way I could make any judgment.

  • 19/01/2018 at 1:46 pm


    My 457 visa was approved on 26/09/2016 in occupation cook but for only1year and six months granted till 26/03/2018. If I apply 457 again can I still eligible for 186 through TRT stream after 2 years or new rules will apply to me.

    • 19/01/2018 at 8:55 pm

      Hard to say, because we do not have the whole picture yet, but if you will re-apply for 457 before 01/03/2018 chances are you might be still eligible for TRT. Why don’t you apply for Direct Entry?

      • 20/01/2018 at 10:57 am

        Hi thanks for quick reply,
        For direct entry we need 3 years of experience but I only have more than 1 year experience. The business is in Melbourne and I can’t apply for RSMS.
        Can we apply for direct entry before the new rules because my owner is ready to sponsor me for PR.

        • 20/01/2018 at 11:36 am

          Melbourne is Metro, so ENS apply, with ENS 3 years of experience required, so indeed transition stream seems to be the option

  • 20/01/2018 at 7:36 am

    I was just granted with a 4 year 457 (under statistician occupation) on Dec 5th 2017. I’ve been working in this company since Sep 5th 2016. I am 26, have completed a 2 year masters Degree in Marketing in Australia, have no work experience other than this job, my IELTS is 7.5 overall with no component under 7. If I’m not wrong and if the current rules don’t change, I’ll qualify to apply for PR in 3 years which is Dec 2020. But if I don’t want to wait 3 years, are there other pathways to PR that I may be eligible for? Thank you!

    • 20/01/2018 at 11:40 am

      Being honest with you I’m quite surprised they gave you 4 years instead on 2 on 457. If you have 3 years of work experience direct entry ENS could be the option. A statistician is not eligible for 189/190/489 currently.

  • 20/01/2018 at 2:52 pm

    I got my 457 visa approval in painting and decoration on may 2017 I got 1.5 year visa because my company was new can I get a exemption from Ielts when I will apply permanent residency I done 6 years study in Australia and one thing more when I apply my next 457 i need Ielts or not thanks in advance

    • 22/01/2018 at 11:47 am

      For direct Entry employer-sponsored permanent visa there is no English exemption available.

  • 26/01/2018 at 2:13 pm

    Hi. I am a 457 visa holder and it was granted 30/06/2015(Already passed 2 years in the same company and I still work in the same one). I am still trying to get PTE 50 score each components.
    My question is that, after March 2018, can I still apply to PR with English requirement?
    Thanks for your assistance in advance.

    • 27/01/2018 at 7:54 am

      It seems that you might be still eligible for transition stream from 01/03/2018. Keep in mind we’re still waiting for a legislation.

  • 29/01/2018 at 8:43 pm

    hi there
    I am currently working under 457 visa and my 2 year has been completed last month. I studied 5 years here in Australia. My question is whether I need each band 6 in Ielts to apply for Pr or not.
    Thank you

    • 30/01/2018 at 10:23 pm

      Depends whether you’d apply for ENS or RSMS TRT. There could be an exemption available for RSMS. Please book a consultation if you’d like to discuss.

  • 07/02/2018 at 2:49 pm

    i got 4 year 457 visa 1 year ago as an cook. i have completed 1 year with same employer. Before approving 457, they asked for an skill assesment for which i chose theoritical one, and after passing that they gave me a 4 year 457 visa.
    my enployer work has gone down and i feel he might shut down. but he promised me to wait for 2 years and apply for my pr. my questions are :
    after completing 2 years and applying for pr can i leave his job or do i need to keep working unless my pr is granted (which usually takes 8-9 months)

    secondly, without my employer sponsership, can i apply for pr . i have 5 year work experience of india, scored min 6.5 in eilts (overall 7), passed skill assessment (although theoriticall) and have rpl based certificates of commercial cookery 3 and 4


    • 08/02/2018 at 9:25 pm

      If you’ll leave your employer before getting a PR, your PR visa will be refused.
      You might get a visa without an employer. We’d have to do a full assessment – please book a consultation.

  • 08/02/2018 at 8:57 pm

    Hey Nowak,
    Great article, i have one quick question.
    I was granted a UC / 457 Visa on July 2017 for 2 years. Is it possible to extend this visa?

    • 08/02/2018 at 9:22 pm

      Looks like you’ll be allowed to extend it for another 2 years

      • 09/02/2018 at 5:59 am

        Awesome thank you.

  • 09/02/2018 at 6:54 am

    Hi there im on a 457 and would like advice on the quickest way to PR.thanks

    • 09/02/2018 at 12:12 pm

      Please book a consultation

  • 09/02/2018 at 9:09 am

    I have IELTS 5.5 in reading with overall 6.5 score. If I apply through ENS transition stream its this score acceptable. I have worked for 5 years on 457 visa

    • 09/02/2018 at 12:12 pm

      Minimum 6 in each component of the test is required.

  • 11/02/2018 at 5:33 pm

    On 457 expiring end of year. Waited 2 years to go down route of transitional stream thinking it will be more straight forward. Same employer unfortunately re-registered their business name to change the name with new ABN no. So border agency says they either have to rerequest another 457, or I do it via Direct entry stream. Am british so language requirement no issues. But can’t get my head around skills assessment again, since I am still doing the same job with the same employer, and remained registered with the governing body AHPRA. And so far no one could tell me if I need to redo my skills assessment, even AHPRA was hopeless.

    • 13/02/2018 at 6:25 am

      If it is exactly the same position, the same place, the same people, “just” another ABN – there’s a chance we can find a way to get a PR for you through a transition stream. Book a consultation if you’d like to discuss.

  • 12/02/2018 at 1:32 pm

    I am currently on a 457 visa which expires on 14th November 2018. I have submitted my 189 PR application as well and on Bridging A (class WA) visa. I am to switch my job and my 457 visa transfer in in progress. Can I start to work for the new employer before transfer nomination is approved as I am already on a Bridging A (class WA) visa.

    • 13/02/2018 at 6:17 am

      Your bridging visa is not active yet, hence you are still on 457. One of 457 conditions is that you must work for an employer who is a current nominator. Book a consultation if you’d like to discuss.

  • 13/02/2018 at 8:24 pm

    We are on a 457 visa which was granted on 1 June 2014. It expires 1 June 2018. My husband is a gynaecologist. We live and work in regional Australia and the hospital is willing to sponsor us on 187 temporary residence stream. My husband is over 50. I believe one of the condition is if older than 50 years of age you need to have been working within your nominated occupation as the holder of a 457 visa for at least four years immediately before applying for PR. In my husbands circumstances he commenced work 15 July 2014 and four years is up on the 15/07/2018. His 457 visa expires on the 1 June 2018. Can you please advise what action needs to be taken from the employer , they have asked, do they just apply for nomination for the 187 visa?
    2- Can we lodge for 187 prior to our visa expiration on 1 June 2018 and if we do, do we get onto a bridging visa and still continue to work. We are planning on lodging application in May 2018.
    3- is 186 or 187 better in your opinion?

    • 15/02/2018 at 7:27 am

      186 is not an option.
      Seems like 457 may need to be extended first.

      • 15/02/2018 at 7:56 am

        thank you. can we not get on bridging visa once we apply for 187 before the 457 expires??

        also what is in the income threshold for 187 visa?

        • 15/02/2018 at 10:43 am

          For RSMS for a doctor over 44 yo, 4 years on a 457 is a time of application requirement for RSMS TRT. If you’ll lodge visa application before becoming eligible it will very likely be refused.
          There is no income threshold for 187.
          Please book a consultation if you’d like to discuss / engage our services.

  • 14/02/2018 at 9:44 am

    Thank you for getting to know your migration website for further contact later on. I’ve a quick question like this: my 457 visa granted Oct-2017 for 4 years of Tax Accountant (been working at the same sponsored place since Apr-2015). Pls advise any impacts by IMMI changes 17Jan & Mar-2018 for later my PR process?
    1. Grandfathered provision is applied for only 457 visa holders on/before Arp-2017, any exemptions for 457visa holders after Apr-2017 & before 17Jan/Mar-2018 (that business not affected by new strict limits of turn-over $1M 5 employees)?
    2. Any possibility to PR application earlier to avoid the new limits of age (45 by Mar-2019) and work experience (more than 2 years since 2015, until 457 visa granted Oct-2017) while the company’s willing to sponsor ENS?
    Many thanks in advance for your guidelines ASAP.

    • 14/02/2018 at 10:02 am

      Oh dear. Quick question? I love your sense of humor.
      Essentially you’re asking about the future. Nobody knows what’s gonna happen by 2019, and I don’t want to speculate here. If you’d like to discuss your situation – please book a consultation.

      • 16/02/2018 at 2:56 pm

        Thank you for your kind response.
        Perhaps it’s a bit unclear for you on those questions; but among them I’d like to ask whether existing any objections/arguments or potential exemptions / “grandfathered provision” for 457 visa holder whose were granted after 18April 2017 and before 17 Jan 2018 – when other strict changes (such as business turnover $1M & 5 employees) not yet announced for the occupation Tax Accountant ???
        As it’s quite unfair if only available exemptions of “grandfathered provision” for 457 visa holders before 18Aril 2017, and nothing at all for the ones as at the time mentioned above when more strict changes just came after their visa grants.
        Thanks for your relevant inputs so as to prepare further services.

  • 14/02/2018 at 2:21 pm


    I would like your thoughts regarding the 457 to PR.
    Sorry, my case is very uncommon.

    In late 2015 I transfered my 457 from a company to another. Unfortunately it took longer than expected.
    Early 2016 immigration refused the SBS to the company and before the reapplication the DIBP decided to cancel the visa.
    I appealed the decision and they gave me a Bridging E and the right to work. So I started with that company.

    I went and won to the AAT. But the case officer approve the new nomination in July 2016.

    My visa expires in May 2018. I missthe PR for 2 months. And my job was removed from the list.

    Do I have to apply for a new 457 and restart the process for the PR from zero?
    Or is it possible to use that bridging E as the starting point of my employment with that company?

    Thank you in advance.


    • 15/02/2018 at 7:16 am

      I don’t see any clear path to PR.
      You have mentioned your job was “removed from the list” (which list?), so applying for another 457 does not seem to be an option.
      Dependant on where you work maybe RSMS could be an option.
      There is not enough information to explore all possible options. Book a consultation if you’d like to discuss.

  • 14/02/2018 at 10:59 pm

    hi, i recently apply for my 186 visa transition to PR, i have couple of questions:
    when i signed the agreement for 186 i am required to stay for two more years, i have been harassed and under pay (reasonable extra hours, but i do more than 22 hour a week for free plus my 38 on the contract)for the last 3 years as a 457 holder (July 2015). Can they cancel my PR if i quite my job after the approval of the 186 visa. At the moment feel like my boss is doing everything to me in order to feel psychological stressed.
    Second, can i change for 187 visa after applying for my 186 visa, the lawyer that i was advise to use is the one the company use for all their legal matter, so they do not really represent my interest. I am sous chef but i do not have my Australian TRA and i have been in the industry as a professional since 2007.
    Thanks in advance, all the info here is very useful and accurate, more or less what every 457 holder is suffering and feels like exploitation in my case, they told as that we are a valuable asset.

    • 15/02/2018 at 7:09 am

      186 is a PR visa. One of the conditions of a grant is that employer is committed keeping you for another 2 years after a visa grant, but realistically there is no provision in a migration act which would allow canceling your visa if you’ll leave your employer earlier. It’s gonna change soon.

  • 18/02/2018 at 1:16 pm

    I got my 457 visa on 28 Sept 2017 as a print finisher (still on the short list). I’ve been working with the same employer since February 2015.
    I do not have any certificate or diploma related to printing but have two diplomas in web design.
    Is there any chance for me to apply for PR using any streams?
    I’d love to book a consultation but I’m in Sydney.

    • 19/02/2018 at 10:13 pm

      We do consultations over the phone and/or skype. It doesn’t matter where you are.
      If your employer is willing to assist with your PR – we can go ahead with the PR visa application under TRT stream.

      • 07/03/2018 at 8:15 am

        So you mean I’m eligible to apply for PR even without skills assessment under TRT stream?
        I worked for the same employer since February 2015 as part-time/casual employee and only got the 457 visa on September 2017 (after new rules were announced). How long more should I work until PR application is possible? I’m sure my employer would help me there.

        • 07/03/2018 at 10:12 pm

          Skills assessment usually not required for TRT stream. It may be required for licensing, etc for some occupations.

  • 21/02/2018 at 3:40 am

    if I lodge 457 visa (massage therapist) before 1/3/2018, will I apply PR under TRT stream in the future?

    • 21/02/2018 at 11:34 am

      No, unless occupation will be moved to MLTSSL list or the law will change.

  • 23/02/2018 at 1:47 pm

    Hi I m on 457 visa since Jan/2015. My employer are ready for 186 now but my occupation is not in mltssl. Can I apply 186 in march?

    • 23/02/2018 at 9:27 pm

      For a transition stream, it does not matter if the occupation is on the list. Give us a call if you need an assistance with the process.

      • 24/02/2018 at 10:08 am

        Thx for reply.
        My occupation is not on mltssl. It is on sltssl list. So there any effect

        • 26/02/2018 at 10:47 pm

          Once again – it does not matter if our occupation is on MLTSSL, STSOL or has been removed from the list – for transition stream duration on 457 is the min factor.

  • 24/02/2018 at 11:35 pm

    I am currently holding 457 visa as a Field Service Engr. which I got last April’2016. My questions are:
    1. If my company sponsor me for my PR after two years, do I need to take an English exam or I can use my 5 yrs of college credits with English as a medium of instruction? And the company can include my family on this sponsorship? Is my 457 visa is still covered by this law after March’2018? Are there other options to apply for PR if my company wont approve to sponsor me?

    Thank you and more power.

    • 24/02/2018 at 11:42 pm

      I just want to add in my comment. I was given a 4yrs 457 visa including my family which will expire on April’2020.
      Thank you again.

  • 25/02/2018 at 5:32 pm

    In May 2016 I came on a 4 yr 457 sponsored by my employer, because I am over 50 the wait was 4 yrs then a pathway to PR, what happens come 2020 when the Visa expires? I do want PR if possible

    • 26/02/2018 at 10:34 pm

      There are very limited exemptions for over 50’s.

  • 27/02/2018 at 6:29 pm

    My husband relieved 457 employer sponsorship (4years visa/ mltssl last nov ), and we arrived recently, how long should we wait to apply for pr.? and on what routes is it best for us ,

    • 28/02/2018 at 9:14 am

      According to the new rules which are yet to be confirmed 3 years waiting period for a transition stream. If he’ll be able to get a positive skills assessment Direct entry could be an option. Book a consultation if you’d like to discuss.

  • 28/02/2018 at 10:55 am

    My 457 visa expires in march 2020, and i am employed with the same employer since 1 year and 10 months, i have got positive skill assessment and degree assessment, age is 25 and have got 7 each in ielts. Am i eligible for 186 direct entry stream? and if i apply that , do i need to work for the same employer for another 2 years after i get my residency?

    • 03/03/2018 at 8:27 am

      You forgot to mention which occupation.

      • 03/03/2018 at 8:41 pm

        Hi sorry occupation is accountant

  • 01/03/2018 at 2:49 pm

    Hi. I’ve been in 457 visa for 3 years now. My sponsor doesn’t want to help me to get the PR.
    Is there another pathway apart of assessing my skills (skill visa) to apply for PR. My profession is in the long term list.

    • 03/03/2018 at 8:19 am

      It all depends on your individual circumstances. A detailed assessment would be necessary to ascertain whether are other options exists. Please consider booking a consultation.

  • 02/03/2018 at 5:51 pm

    hi there

    if i applied for 457 visa in 10/2016, but changed nomination in 6/2017 and have visa granted 8/2017, so can i apply for PR after 2years?orbdo i need to wait 3years

    thanks for answer

    • 03/03/2018 at 8:09 am

      2 years very likely.

  • 06/03/2018 at 3:45 pm

    I am 457 visa holder which granted last April 2017. My employer is willing to sponsor me for applying a PR visa.
    And I took 5 years in English as a medium of instruction in school. My question here is, do I still need to take IELTS? Hopefully, I’m planning to apply for PR this coming March. Im a welder, the way.


    Best regards,


    • 06/03/2018 at 8:26 pm

      There are no exemptions for English test for direct entry ENS or RSMS visa.

  • 12/03/2018 at 4:40 pm

    ai Iam current 457 visa holder,I have got the visa on 28 September 2017 and my occupation comes under STSOL as a restaurant manager and more over am working in the regional area so does this 457 take me to the permanent residence or I need to do the another subclass visa like 187,190 and 489 can you please let me know that the changes made on 17 April 2017 will apply on my visa or I still stay on 457 visa after 18 march 2018 please

    • 14/03/2018 at 10:08 am

      I am assuming your 457 has been granted for 2 years, right?
      190 and 489 are definitely an option given you’ll be able to get a skill assessment done.
      187 Direct Entry – depends on what additional occupations will be available for regional Australia after the changes will be introduced.

  • 15/03/2018 at 11:42 pm

    Hi, I have a 457 visa as a cook, granted in July 2017 for 2 years. I don’t have any qualification as a cook but I have 7 years of experience. I have worked for my current employer since January 2017 and he is willing to sponsor me for PR if I’ll be eligible. So I would like to ask you, in this situation would I be able to apply for the TRT? Thanks!

    • 16/03/2018 at 9:27 pm

      TRT as a cook seems not to be available for you. Is your employer in regional Australia? RSMS DE could be available (if cook will be on the list), 190 or 489 as well may be ok.

  • 16/03/2018 at 11:25 pm

    No my employer is not in a regional aerea. So, even if i applied for the 457 before the 18 of April 2017 i cannot apply for the TRT right?

    • 18/03/2018 at 7:45 pm

      If you have applied for 457 before 18 April 2017 you might be still eligible for ENS TRT under grandfathering provisions, please book a consultation so we’ll check your eligibility.

  • 17/03/2018 at 9:25 am

    Hi there! I am a 457 visa holder and working in my employer for more than 5 years now, I arrived in Australia and joined my company at the age of 48. Before reaching the age of 50 I asked my employer to sponsor me of my desire to apply for permanent residency, my employer said that the company in under Australian Immigration sanction for a reason not disclosed to me but has nothing to do with my employment or visa. After 2 years the sanction was lifted and as a matter of fact my employer was able to sponsor my colleague for a permanent residency and was granted 1 year ago. By the time that the sanction was lifted, I again asked my employer for permanent residency sponsorship but my employer said that I am no longer eligible because I am already more than 50 years of age and said that since they don’t want me to leave they will renew my 457 visa instead. I am still working with my same employer with the renewed 457 visa and still wanted to apply for permanent resident visa, I am hoping for your assistance. Thank you.

    • 18/03/2018 at 7:39 pm

      There are very limited circumstances where a person 50 years old, or older, can get an employer-sponsored permanent residency visa. Please book a consultation, so we’ll check if you’d be eligible.

  • 21/03/2018 at 3:48 am

    I would like to ask you couple of questions firstly, in regards to IELTS score, I am a registered nurse working on 457 visa in aged care, I will complete my two years with same employer in Jan 19, I have completed 5 years studies in AUSTRALIA, 2 years Bachelor of nursing+2 years masters of health promotion,( 6 months) diploma of nursing and ( 6 months)
    diploma of business management ? secondly, Is the diploma 6 months study will be countable in 5 years or not??
    My IELTS score is 6, 7.5, 7 and 5.5
    Please reply me what IELTS score I need when applying for PR OR these should be ok as I have done 5 years study?
    Thank you

    • 21/03/2018 at 9:53 pm

      IELTS 6/6/6/6 is minimum required. In some circumstances, 5 years study in Australia could be considered instead of IELTS.

  • 21/03/2018 at 1:57 pm

    Thank you for the informative article and your tireless answering of our questions :-). My 457 is likely to be granted soon. I applied in Aug 2017. I was 45 years old on date of application. I assume if it is granted, it will fall under new rules and I won’t make the age limit for ENS PR? Also the new rules require 3 years before PR can be considered?


    • 21/03/2018 at 9:49 pm

      Yo will not make the age limit.
      ENS TRT is not the only option for PR.

      • 22/03/2018 at 9:01 am

        Good morning Nowak Migration,
        In connection to Nevar above questions 21/3 similar to mine, may I ask your opinions for any PR possible outcomes to the case: *457 visa applied after 19 April and granted last Oct-2017 for 4 yrs Tax Accountant, 43 ys-old, been working at the same company position since 2015. *New caveats arisen to this occupation since 17Jan-2018 to which my company can’t reach for PR nomination later “ref. business turnover capacity & 5 employees”, and grandfathering provisions didn’t apply to mine.*Pls advise if any chance of direct ENS or so workable PR for my case (apart from other independent skilled visas). Much appreciation.

        • 31/03/2018 at 10:17 am

          If a company is not able to satisfy 186 caveats, a nomination will very likely be refused.

  • 21/03/2018 at 3:22 pm


    I am on a 457 visa and have been working for over 1 month but l am working in terrible difficult conditons.I dont think I will be able to survive many months. I want to change my employer and found a new employer who is willing and have the business sponsorship to nominate me for the same position but with bit higher salary.

    1) -Can the new employer lodge the nomination forms while I am still working for current employer.
    2) -Can I wait for the nominations to be approved with new employer before giving resignation notice to my current employer.
    3) -Is there is any chance the DIAC will penalize me when applying for PR, if I change my employer after 5 months.
    4) -Under what circumstances I am eligible to change my employer.

    could you please help me. I am in a terrible situation.

    • 21/03/2018 at 9:47 pm

      1 – yes
      2 – yes
      3 – shouldn’t
      4 – “just because” is good enough reason

  • 23/03/2018 at 12:14 pm


    My partner is on my 457 as a second applicant. As I understand she can work for our sponsor/nominator but does not have to. Say she does work for our sponsor and they are willing to sponsor her for a 186, permanent residency, is that a viable option to pursue? I will not make the age limit. Or what other PR options do we have? If I know there is one, I can start the process with a migration agent, but I first need to be sure.

    Thank you,

    • 31/03/2018 at 10:12 am

      You are asking a migration agent for advice for free so you can start a process with another migration agent?

  • 27/03/2018 at 4:00 pm

    Hi, my profile: I am a Software Engineer (under 261313), I am working in AUS from past 3.5+ years on 457 visa. I have submitted EOI with 60 points in SEPT 17 (waiting from invitation, any idea if gov is planning to clean all pending applications? : ).
    Question: My 457 Visa will expire in July-18, my employer is fine to renew it (hope this will be MLTSSL),
    Does my experience on 457 visa still be considered for PR application after getting MLTSSL? ( for 5 points )
    Do I need to resubmit EOI?

    • 31/03/2018 at 9:59 am

      forget about an invitation for 189 with 60 points.
      For points work experience is what matters, not a visa type.

  • 29/03/2018 at 2:01 pm

    Hi. I have held 457 Visa as en Electronics Engineer for more than 2 years now and I’m eligible to apply for PR transition with the company’s sponsorship (I’ve already asked them). My partner for more than 3 years has arrived in Australia 6 months ago and is currently on an Student Visa (we live together and share financial assets). We have registered our relationship in Victoria since Dec 2017. I have three questions:
    1-Can I directly apply to PR including my partner ?
    2-If not, then I have to add her to my 457 first and then apply for PR ?
    3-If both are applicable, which one is easier/cheaper ?

    • 30/03/2018 at 10:19 am

      Both are applicable.

  • 30/03/2018 at 5:04 pm

    I am on a 457 visa since 15th of March 2017 as a restaurant manager which is now on the short list. As I understood since my visa has been granted before 18th of April 2017 I am still eligible for PR from the 15th of March 2019
    My questions are :
    What are the steps to apply for PR ? Do I need to sit down with my employer and he has to apply through the company lawyer ? Or can I apply on my own ?
    Does my wife which is on defacto with me on my 457 has to sit an english test ?
    After my PR is granted do I need to stay in the same company or I can resigned and open my own business ?
    Thanks a lot

    • 31/03/2018 at 9:55 am

      you are,
      nomination on behalf of an employer, visa application on behalf of an applicant – we can assist with both stages
      she may not need to sit an English test given she’ll be able to prove her English is on a Functional level in any other acceptable way, or you have spare 5kAUD to pay for 2nd VAC.
      you and employer pledge to continue the job for 2 years after a visa grant.

  • 30/03/2018 at 10:58 pm

    Hi there,
    I’m Nestor 44 yrs old. I granted my 457 visas for small engine mechanic as employer sponsor last year of November 2017. I graduted bachelor of science in mechanical engg for 5 yrs. My question as follows,
    1. Can i bring or sponsor my wife and kids using my 457 visa that nothing to wait for PR?

    • 31/03/2018 at 9:49 am

      457 is a temporary visa, I’m not sure what is the reference to PR in your question. You can apply for a subsequent applicants visa for your family given your employer will agree to that.

Comments are closed.