Australia developed an advanced visa system aimed at reducing skills shortages. The Subclass 457 work visa (also known as a temporary business visa) allows employers to sponsor overseas workers.
Australian employers can sponsor a skilled worker under a 457 sponsorship visa for any period of time from one day to four years. Family members are also welcome and are allowed to work and/or study during their stay in Australia.
This visa allows the holder to come in and out of Australia with their family as often as they wish. The Temporary Work Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) visa can easily lead to Permanent Residency.
Employees applying for a 457 work visa must meet a number of requirements, including:
- Skills, qualifications, and experience which match the requirements of the position
- English language proficiency (IELTS score of 5 across all four test components)
- Be sponsored by an eligible employer
- Meet various health requirements
- Have health insurance
- Meet character requirements
For an employer to be eligible to apply for a worker to come to Australia under a 457 visa, they must meet certain requirements.
An employer must be approved as a sponsor before being able to recruit overseas workers under the 457 work visa. To be approved as a sponsor, an employer must be an Australian business that operates within Australia or an overseas business bringing in overseas employees for the purpose of setting up a business within Australia. Both types of businesses must attest that they have a demonstrated commitment to employing local labour and undertake non-discriminatory employment practices. Employers must also show a commitment to meeting Australia’s requirements for training Australian workers. The job that the employer is looking to fill has to be on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List.
Process steps for 457 visa sponsorship:
- Approval to be a sponsor for overseas workers
- Nomination of occupations they want to fill
- Recruitment of overseas workers to fill the nominated positions
- Act as a sponsor for the employees applying for a visa
- Cooperation with the immigration department’s monitoring requirements
The Australian 457 work visa has proven to be one of the most popular ways for employers to hire overseas workers. If you would like more information on this visa, feel free to contact us.