TSS to PR ? How to convert your TSS visa to Permanent Residency ?

tss to pr happy people

TSS to PR. From Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) 482 visa to Permanent Residency (PR)

Permanent residency in Australia has always served as the proverbial pot of gold for most immigrants who choose to resettle here.

Whether they admit it or not, the majority of the non-citizens who come here either to work, study, do business or invest in attractive financial instruments, have permanent residency as their ultimate aim.

We bet that’s your goal, too.

It’s not surprising given the growing reputation of the country as one of the safest havens for workers, students, investors, business people, retirees, tourists and all other sorts of foreign nationals.

Among the many types of visa that are offered by the Commonwealth government, the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) is the one responsible for bringing throngs of skilled immigrants into the country.  The same visa is also responsible for the granting of permanent residence to countless skilled workers.  This is because transitioning from 457 visa to permanent residency is rather simple and, thus, easy.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on the vantage point from which you look at the situation), the subclass 457 became extinct and is replaced by a new one called Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa or subclass 482.

The Australian government just feels the need to reform this package with the view to bolster the integrity and quality of the country’s employer-sponsored skilled migration schemes.

In the face of the impending change, should you lose hope of ever getting a permanent residency with a TSS visa?  The answer is no — far from it.  You should not even fret about it: The new subclass 482 still offers permanent residence status to a good number of its holders.

Three streams under TSS visa

To appreciate the TSS visa, especially in the context of the opportunity for a permanent residence here, let’s discuss a bit the three options in which to avail of it, namely:

  1. Short-term stream – this is intended for employers who look for genuine temporary skilled workers from abroad for jobs that are listed in the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). Such stream is good for up to two years.  If, however, there’s an applicable international trade obligation to take advantage of, it may run to up to four years.
  1. Medium-term stream – this one is designed for employers that require the services of highly skilled international workers to work in vital medium term occupations included in Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). This is good for four years.  And the best part of it is, you have the option to apply for permanent residence after three years.
  1. Labor Agreement stream – this is applicable if the sourcing of the foreign skilled workers is in accord with a labor agreement with the government arising from the critical need in the labor market for eligible workers that cannot be supplied by the local labor force. This, too, may open doors for possible permanent residence.

As you can see above, medium-term stream and labor agreement stream both present the window of opportunity that you are looking for in relation to your pursuit of a permanent residency in Australia.  If, on the other hand, you are only qualified for the Short-term stream, then you are somehow caught in a bit of a fix.

This is what we mean when we said earlier that you don’t need to panic that the popular and the certified favorite of the skilled immigrants, subclass 457, will be replaced by TSS visa very soon.  Just exert effort to obtain either medium-term stream or labor agreement stream.

Follow us on facebook if you like it here, so you’ll be first to know about updates on this page.

From TSS to PR

The question now is this: How to go about navigating the way from Temporary Skill Shortage visa to permanent residence?

One of the most common pathways is for medium-term TSS visa holders like you to apply for permanent residency via the Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream.  Depending on your postcode, you can apply for Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS) or subclass 186 visa, if your postcode is Metropolitan Australia, or Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187) if your postcode belongs to regional Australia.

It is important that your employer must be willing to nominate you for permanent residency under the TRT scheme and must submit a valid nomination to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, now called the Department of Home Affairs.

Besides this pathway, there are still other options left for you to resort to if you cannot avail of this method.

If you have a 457 visa, and it’s been granted or applied for before 19 April 2017, you may still be eligible for a transition from 457 to PR under the old rules.

Check Nowak Migration for more options

Speaking of the other options for obtaining permanent residency from a TSS visa, why not talk with any of our migration experts at Nowak Migration?

TSS to PR has been the bread and butter of our company in our effort to help individuals and families from other countries obtain permanent residence status in the land of opportunities.  We have lost count of the number of clients that we have helped obtain permanent residence from subclass 457.  They are now happily enjoying their new Australian abode that goes with their stable occupations.  Their children could not be happier either.  They are scattered all over the country – from Metropolitan Australia to the regional localities.  And they have not stopped giving their profuse thanks to us for making their lives much more comfortable, decent and less stressful than they were in their countries of origin.

It’s about time that you do the same favor for yourself and your family.  The very first step towards the attainment of that goal is to give us a call.  Please don’t forget our hotline (07) 3668 0658.  Our warm and friendly staff will gladly take your call and refer you to an available consultant.  If, however, our migration experts are busy attending to other clients, we will note down your personal details and get back to you the soonest that we can.

You also have the option to email your concerns to us or send us a message through our Facebook page, LinkedIn or YouTube account.

Before we forget, allow us to announce to you that we have just transferred to a new and better location in no less than Greater Springfield.  If you are not familiar with the place, please click nation-building project.  That’s right: We have just acquired a coveted spot in an equally coveted development project right at the doorstep of Brisbane, Queensland.

8 thoughts on “TSS to PR ? How to convert your TSS visa to Permanent Residency ?

  • 18/07/2018 at 9:18 pm

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    Next month I will have completed 2 years under 457 visa … After that would I eligible to apply for PR or better to apply again for 482 then for PR. Some Lawyers said under 457 time consuming and uncertainty. Would you like to say something about this please …… I am desperately waiting for your reflex.
    with best regards

    • 29/07/2018 at 10:34 am

      If you are eligible for a PR under a transition stream and your employer wants to assist – go for it. Book a consultation so we’ll discuss your options.

  • 02/02/2019 at 7:12 pm

    I am on subclass 482 medium stream visa and just traveled to Aus. What are my options of applying for PR. I am already 42 yr old and will be 45yrs in 3 years.
    I would like to apply for a PR immediately if possible

  • 12/06/2019 at 6:08 am


    I have been nominated 482. I was wondering if i can change this to PR.
    Are there any things to consider or certain salary bandwidth i should be a part off ?

    Any response is appreciated.

    • 07/07/2019 at 11:04 am

      You might be able to convert it to PR in certain circumstances, but I’d have to know the whole picture to give “any response”. Consider booking a consultation so we’ll have a look at your situation.

  • 13/01/2020 at 9:53 am

    my file is lodged on 23 march 2017 and got 482 vis but under 457 2 year. which is expiring on 24th of jan 2020. what option i hacve for pr current employer who sponsored me dont wanna to further sponsor and even dont wanna to give nomination for 186 pr. what other option i have. got 7 .5 each score in pte giving natti tomorrow 42 year old 5 year cook experience. plz

    • 16/01/2020 at 9:21 am

      190 or 491 could be an option, but your visa will expire in a few days, so no time to deal with a state nomination.
      Even if you’d find another sponsor LMT might be an issue.
      You may need to apply for some other visa to extend your stay in Australia before you’ll find another sponsor. If you have a partner – maybe they can apply for a student visa – you’ll be a dependant – just a thought.

Comments are closed.